Can I get more cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tall with 1 betta, 5 neon tetras, 2 brilliant rasboras, 3 emerald green cory, 1 peppered cory, and 1 sterba's cory. Could I get 2 more peppered and 2 sterba's Cory so they won't get lonely? I want to get rid of the rasboras too so I can have more space but my lfs won't take them. Ideas?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have more stock than that in my 10g :)

Assuming you want to get rid of the brilliant rasbora then this is what I would do for full stock:

Betta - 1
Neon tetras - 12
Cory cats - 10

I personally wouldn't add that many of those cory species to a 20g high. But, that is just my preference. Those species get a little on the large side. I would cap out my cory stock at more like 6 for cories of that size.
Just a note though, I really wouldn't be too concerned about them getting lonely. In my experience, as long as you have a few other cories of any species, they seem to do just fine. I have kept plenty of singles (a single of 1 species in with cories of other species) over the years, and never had any issues at all. They won't shoal up quite as tightly, but they will often hang out and seem to be just as comfortable as with more of their own species IME.
If you do try more, just be sure to keep an eye on your water parameters and make sure to keep up on pwc.
As for the rasbora, I don't know how big of a town you live in, but chains will generally take in just about any fish they can fit in their tanks as an "adoption." I am rather surprised your lfs won't take them. Most that I have dealt will take in stock, just possibly not for credit. You can try craigslist or asking friends with aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom