Can I Kill Snails With This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm moving plants to a new tanks that have been plagued with snails. Will soaking them in vinegar kill the snails and their eggs?

Hi! You can dip the plants in a 5% bleach solution, a potassium permagnate bath or an Excel bath to kill off snails & their eggs. Fine-stemmed plants may not fair as well with bleach. I would manually remove any eggs or snails you see before dipping and then rinse the plants in dechlorinated water afterwards. Nothing is a 100% guarentee to eliminate all snails because they are tough little creatures! Good luck!

what if I bathed them in a bath of flourish excel how much should i use

I am by no means a plant expert! I have only used bleach & PP to disinfect plants. The active ingredient in Excel is used to disinfect medical equipment because of its ability to kill bacteria, viruses, etc. I have accidently killed snails with it in the past. I have only read about using it as a dip to disinfect plants- I dont recall the exact amounts but I believe it may be 2-3x the regular dose. Bleach or Pp is alot cheaper. I would ask in the planted tank section for clarification or send Aquachem a msg. He is very knowledgable about plants (and excel) and will be able to give you a more definitive answer. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom