Can I stock this tank like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody, I have a 10 gal which currently holds:

X 2 Molly
X 3 Neons
X 3 Harliquen

In next few weeks this is what I want it to be when stocked:

X 2 Molly
X 3 Neons
X 3 Haliquens
X 4 Guppy
X 4 Rummy
X 4 bristle nose catfish

OR

Molly's, Neons/ Harliquen with three guppy, three rummy, three glow light and three bristle nose catfish?

Can you breed the bristle nose in threes or is it best in a four?

Which is best or is this overstocking?

Hi everybody, I have a 10 gal which currently holds:

X 2 Molly
X 3 Neons
X 3 Harliquen

In next few weeks this is what I want it to be when stocked:

X 2 Molly
X 3 Neons
X 3 Haliquens
X 4 Guppy
X 4 Rummy
X 4 bristle nose catfish

OR

Molly's, Neons/ Harliquen with three guppy, three rummy, three glow light and three bristle nose catfish?

Can you breed the bristle nose in threes or is it best in a four?

Which is best or is this overstocking?

Not trying to be mean but your stock, even now, is quite a bit for a 10 gallon. I'd stick with the harliquens and some pigmy Cory catfish. For the bristle nosed catfish, are you thinking of the bristle nosed plecos? If so, a 10 gallon is too small for even 1.

Not trying to be mean but your stock, even now, is quite a bit for a 10 gallon. I'd stick with the harliquens and some pigmy Cory catfish. For the bristle nosed catfish, are you thinking of the bristle nosed plecos? If so, a 10 gallon is too small for even 1.

I agree also.

yes, unfortunately because of the mollys I would say you are already stocked, for sure the fish you would like to add would be more than advisable. The BNP gets too large and has a massive bioload compared to its size and mollys get quite large and messy as well. I would say leave your stock the way it is or rehome a couple and get fish more suitable to the tank. Or you can always upgrade!

Thanks! Pets At Home claim that's fine! It's unbelievable! You think the staff know there stuff and you trust them in the most important aspects and they tell you that would be fine coz they know I'm gonna buy the fish of them!

Trust me, if I could get another bigger tank I would do it. But truthfully I'm a kid and my parents won't even consider any more!

Thanks! Pets At Home claim that's fine! It's unbelievable! You think the staff know there stuff and you trust them in the most important aspects and they tell you that would be fine coz they know I'm gonna buy the fish of them!
not only will they tell you that just to have you buy those fish, they also tell you that so your tank will fail and you'll come back to replace those fish or buy a larger tank. Thats the way it is at a lot of pet stores

If you restocked with smaller species the tank would come to life, Scarlet Badis, Endler Guppies, Ember Tetra, Galaxy Rasboras, Mosquito Rasbora, Pygmy Corydora.

not only will they tell you that just to have you buy those fish, they also tell you that so your tank will fail and you'll come back to replace those fish or buy a larger tank. Thats the way it is at a lot of pet stores

I mean when I go they seen really trusty and nice normal people so it's odd to think they would do that. But I guess they really are trying to trick you!

My friend goes to a different store in the area and they recommend a maximum of twenty fish. ( She
basically has the same size tank as me,)

The annoying part is though EVERY SINGLE one of the staff says the same thing!

I mean when I go they seen really trusty and nice normal people so it's odd to think they would do that. But I guess they really are trying to trick you!

My friend goes to a different store in the area and they recommend a maximum of twenty fish. ( She

That's a salesman/woman for ya!

Yes unfortunately it's a business and they make money selling the most fish they can.

Ok if you were to rehome the fish you have now and start again you could do maybe
6 pygmy cory
A scarlet badis ( the fish in my profile pic) or a sparking gourami
And a school of 8 celestial pearl danio, ember tetra , chilli rasbora or keep your 3 harlequin rasbora and up the school to 6.
And a couple of endlers which are really pretty

The 10 gallon tank I hate that thing. I started with one as well and it's great at first cause its not too big or too small. After a while you realize it's ok nothing special maybe a great sick tank. If I were you id upgrade and buy an extra extra filter for it. I run two AC20's on a 20 and that keeps the water crystal clear.

Ok if you were to rehome the fish you have now and start again you could do maybe
6 pygmy cory
A scarlet badis ( the fish in my profile pic) or a sparking gourami
And a school of 8 celestial pearl danio, ember tetra , chilli rasbora or keep your 3 harlequin rasbora and up the school to 6.
And a couple of endlers which are really pretty

Sparkling gourami would get to big. Comparing a scarlet badis (max size is 3/4 inch) and a sparkling gourami (max size is 5 inches) is kind of bad. Even with that he's way over stocked

I'd get rid of your fish exept harlequins and do

6 harlequins
3 panda cories or pygmy
1 dwarf gourami.

Sparkling gourami would get to big. Comparing a scarlet badis (max size is 3/4 inch) and a sparkling gourami (max size is 5 inches) is kind of bad. Even with that he's way over stocked

I'd get rid of your fish exept harlequins and do

6 harlequins
3 panda cories or pygmy
1 dwarf gourami.

They only get to be 4cm double the size of the badis but still really small and not very active swimmers I've had 2. Dwarf gouramis are heaps bigger than the sparklers. I agree with the 6 harlequins but would have at least 6 Pygmy corys or 4 pandas I have pygmys in a 12.5 gal they are so tiny and would definitely do better in a group of 6.

They only get to be 4cm double the size of the badis but still really small and not very active swimmers I've had 2. Dwarf gouramis are heaps bigger than the sparklers. I agree with the 6 harlequins but would have at least 6 Pygmy corys or 4 pandas I have pygmys in a 12.5 gal they are so tiny and would definitely do better in a group of 6.

Oh! I'm sorry! I was thinking of pearl gouramis! Sparkling gourami would be fine in a 10.

Thanks for all the replies!

I really love my Molly's as I breed them. Same with guppies.

I love those tank plans I think those are great. I really would upgrade but tanks are so expensive!

All those in the US are lucky, I mean a dollar per gallon!

Thanks for all the replies!

I really love my Molly's as I breed them. Same with guppies.

I love those tank plans I think those are great. I really would upgrade but tanks are so expensive!

All those in the US are lucky, I mean a dollar per gallon!

We do take a lot for granted haha. Sounds like the sales people you and your friend talked to aren't even going by the outdated 1" of fish per gallon rule. That's sad

Back
Top Bottom