Can ich live on rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI guys I have had a change around in my tank and reintroduce a rock I have not used for about 2 months.MIT has been stored away from any tank and water, stored in a container.

Shortly after this I've had a very mild outbreak of ich, and wondering if the rock could have kept alive this parasite whilst not being used?
I did not boil the rock before reintroducing it and wonder if that could have been the cause?

It only appears to have affected my 2 fancy goldfish. All other water parameters are fine and I am doing regular way changes whilst I'm treating?

Any advice welcome.

I would say no way. But I dont have any scientific reasons. Its a water parasite I wouldnt think it could live out of water for 2 months.

From what I've read .. ich dies rather quickly without a host so I'd say introducing the rock and your ich was coincidental. What kind of rock? I bring all my rocks to a boil before I put them into tanks.

Everything I have heard about Ich is that it can not live outside of water once everything it dries out, and it can only live in water outside of a host for a couple days at most.

The life cycle is something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong). It feeds on the host for around 5 days. The last couple are when your able to see the spots. Then it falls to the floor or anything else in the tank for a couple days and multiplies. Then they free-float in the water for a couple days looking for a new host. This is the only time it's vulnerable to meds, and if it doesn't find a host, it starves and dies. So from what I know, it's doubtful it came from the rock if it's been dry and isolated for that long.

Back
Top Bottom