Can/Should I change my filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustipher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My Tank

I have a 3 gallon tank with 1 Betta I got as a gift from a big box store. The tank has a hang-on-the-back filter system that that came with the original kit, it uses 2 carbon filter cartridges and there's no intake sponge. I've had this kit for 1.5 years and every thing works, the Betta has been healthy the entire time. I've since added 1 Mystery snail. It's the only tank-mate the Betta hasn't immediately killed, but Lord knows it *really* wants to.

The Problem

I'm not entirely happy with the filtration that's going on. The filter employes 2 carbon filters in sequence (e.g. the unfiltered water filters through the first filter, then then 2nd). They are both the same type of filter, there's no difference in filtration quality or technique between the 2 filters.

Possible Solution

I was thinking of pulling out the 1st carbon cartridge and maybe putting a filter sponge. Then replacing the 2nd carbon cartridge with some kind of media. Then add a sponge filter to the vertical water intake.

My Question to You

Is this feasible? What do you think? What would you do/use?

Thanks.

Ditch the Carbon, but only do one at a time. There will be some bacteria living on that cartridge. Put in a sponge in first slot, and filter floss in second, or 1 big sponge, endless options. You don't mention what type of HOB filter?

Back
Top Bottom