can/should I change my gravel to black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've just been contemplating changing my gravel lately also, so thanks for asking this. btw.

if your also thinking about changing your gravel check this out
i found a thread in the other forum and people are thinking about putting a LEGO in their tanks...i know id like to make my tank look as natural as i can with the plants and black sand to recreate amazon but think about lego castles, lego space ship, lego sunken ship, or even a sponge bob square pants set (that is if they have this in a lego set)

i am thinking of adding a lego set and am planning to visit TOYS ARE US
again i feel like a little kid waiting for his next lego set

oh and IMO i think they should be safe for fish as i and a lot of other people who played with lego constantly sucked on it. but then chlorine is safe for us but not for fish...

i put all kinds of crap in my tanks. one had battle cat (from he-man), one has glow in the dark zombies and a 12 sided die. umm. a plastic my little pony figurine, a glass bird i made... all kinds of crap. legos sound totally fun.

the white background on this kills mine. good article. food for thought.

NO!!!!!!
i changed my gravel to playsand and unlike my plan i changed the whole thing in a single shot
excited as i was i decided to add more fish to already overstocked tank on the same day
now my lovely albino bristlenose pleco died...he stiffed up like a frozen fish
all of the new fish died
strangely enough my neon tetras are thriving and healthy (they seemed to enjoy the tank all by themselves now)
i dont think the mistake was from changing the gravel but adding more fish to a "new" environment too soon
i am greatly sad and i miss my little pleco...

What are your water parameters? Chances are your tank is going through another cycle. I bet you have either ammonia and/or nitrites present. It could be a coincidence but I feel it is all related to changing the substrate.

I would hold off on getting any more fish until you can afford a larger tank.

i think it is cycling again...
.5 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
now i only have 12 neon tetras...and on the good side, they seem to love the place they have all for themselves

Back
Top Bottom