Can someone help me identify this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi from the pics can anyone identify what this is growing in my sand. I have tried to remove the sand contaminated but it grew back within a week. I am dreading that its cyano. Its not a sheet though its more powdery.

Thanks

RR

It could just be a bit of algae growing in your sand. I get that in my tanks with white sand. The top 1/4" to 1" grows some stuff. The tanks with brighter light grows stuff deeper in the sand.

It seems to have gotten darker and spread a little while i was at work. Im thinking that this is cyano now. Does anyone have any tips to fighting it. Obv I cannot turn off my lighting as i have live plants. I have looked into H2O2, does anyone have any experience in using this method?

RR

I'd say that is a "nice" little blue-green algae development as well. Interesting organisms under the microscope, but not so much in the aquarium.

I don't have any experience with that. A blackout can work even if you have live plants. I've killed it with Maracyn before but that WILL affect your bio filter even though the packaging says it won't.

I'd suggest the blackout as a first course of action. JMO.

yes that is almost definantely BGA. Its primary cause is a low level of Nitrates in your water. The easiest way to fix this is to dose nitrogen fertilizer, generaly in the form of KNO3, a level of 10-20ppm will promote plant growth while keeping algae in check. Another avenue is to reduce other available nutrients to be in line with your Nitrate levels, the simplest of this being to reduce your photo period,how long your lights are on, and make sure you are not overfeeding your fish. All other treatments are only temporary and you will find yourself with recurring outbreaks of BGA.

physical removal: pretty self explanatory. if u dont have a gravel vac a piece of airline tubing will work, just a hellova lot slower.

Blackouts: Blackouts work because your higher order plants have reserves of energy that they can survive off of if they are unable to preform photosynthesis. The BGA as a single celled organism lacks these energy reserves and starves.

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2): This works by oxidizing the bacterias membrane and is consumed, made inert, by the process, dont use more than about 2ml per gallon, when dosed correctly is 99.9% safe for all your inhabitants. It is best done via spot treatment, a small syringe is preferable.

Antibiotics: last ditch effort as it kills all bacteria both good and bad, can cause your tank to cycle, which is bad. Can have copper in it which will kill your inverts. Overall unhealthy for inhabitants.

I will read, thank you! I did a brief lab on cyanobacterium and I found them pretty interesting.

Thanks for the very in depth responses. Exactly the information I was looking for. Ill try them in the order you have suggested frog nugget and update this thread add I go. Thanks

Update. I siphoned off the top layer of sand with the most signs of growth and omy power head to increase flow into that area. I have also bought a background for the tank to cut out the light from the window. Juat done a test params are: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite <0.3, Nitrate: around 20-25. So its not being caused by low nitrates i guess. Any suggestions as to why it has appeared?

Back
Top Bottom