Can someone ID these crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my friend bought me a bamboo shrimp awhile back and decided he didn't like it because it isn't active, so a few days ago he decided to buy me some crayfish. He said the tag said Red Swamp Crayfish, but I can't find anything on google that looks like mine. They are pretty active and have destroyed most of my plants (I moved the rest for now). Also my mollies have died since they were added. The black molly was in chunks floating around the tank and the dalmation was floating upside down near the bottom. Regardless of the circumstances I rather like the crays, I just want to know what they are to gauge how big they will get and if my other fish are in danger. He said they were a buck fifty a piece and he bought 5.

IMG_0158.jpg IMG_0157.jpgIMG_0156.jpg IMG_0155.jpg

Thanks for any help IDing these creatures.

Maybe procambarus clarkii?? Looks similar to my clarkii, except for color.

I believe clarkii crayfish grow to 5+ inches. How big is your tank? I'd be concerned that 5 cray in one tank will be difficult to manage--not only will the crays eat the fish, they can be aggressive with each other even cannibalistic, especially during molts. I'm pretty new to the hobby and even newer to crays, so others may be able to provide more info.

I believe clarkii crayfish grow to 5+ inches. How big is your tank? I'd be concerned that 5 cray in one tank will be difficult to manage--not only will the crays eat the fish, they can be aggressive with each other even cannibalistic, especially during molts. I'm pretty new to the hobby and even newer to crays, so others may be able to provide more info.

My tank is 55g, they have plenty of space now (only 2.5 inches though). I think the mollies got stressed out in the tank and that was why they passed. I strongly believe the cray only tried to eat them after they had died.

My tank is 55g, they have plenty of space now (only 2.5 inches though). I think the mollies got stressed out in the tank and that was why they passed. I strongly believe the cray only tried to eat them after they had died.

You need 10g per male crayfish .. thats what im told i have been researching them myself as im getting 2 blue ones this week but mine are male and female .. Is your tank the standard 4ft 55g or is it a smaller 55g ? If its the standard it should be fine just make sure to add plenty of hiding spots . Also crays will eat any fish they can catch so they could have very well killed your fish

You need 10g per male crayfish .. thats what im told i have been researching them myself as im getting 2 blue ones this week but mine are male and female .. Is your tank the standard 4ft 55g or is it a smaller 55g ? If its the standard it should be fine just make sure to add plenty of hiding spots . Also crays will eat any fish they can catch so they could have very well killed your fish

Yeah the tank is 4ft. I may rehome a few of them anyways, with all the space they still fight each other. And the fish don't have much chance when they are sleeping on the bottom and the cray are alert and hungry. I've had no other losses yet though, thankfully! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom