Can UV light remove algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Bubble00

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been having tons of green spot algae on the glass, and its really annoying whenever I just want to see my tank. I have a SAE in it and 1 Olive Nerite Snail, the SAE did try to clean the glass, but the ONS is not doing its job properly. I was also thinking if my finals are finished, whether I should buy RCS for it since I already removed my Comet, but if I buy the UV light and it works like a charm, I won't buy them.

Now here is the question:
Does UV lights remove green spot algae and other types of algae?

So I've been having tons of green spot algae on the glass, and its really annoying whenever I just want to see my tank. I have a SAE in it and 1 Olive Nerite Snail, the SAE did try to clean the glass, but the ONS is not doing its job properly. I was also thinking if my finals are finished, whether I should buy RCS for it since I already removed my Comet, but if I buy the UV light and it works like a charm, I won't buy them.

Now here is the question:
Does UV lights remove green spot algae and other types of algae?

No, neither algae eaters nor a uv unit will clean up green spot algae. Typically it is caused by low phosphates and excess light. If its on the glass you might just be stuck with scrapping it off each water change.

uv units will only clean up algae/bacteria that are free floating within the water column, which green spot is not.

Back
Top Bottom