Can you guys take a look at my stocking idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I'm on the final stretch of my fishless cycle and I think I've got my mind made up on what fish I want fish I want. I'm hoping you guys can take a peek and make sure everything is compatible and if you think it'd look okay.

It's a 48 gallon bow front freshwater with a filter rated for 70 gallons. I've been doing a fishless cycle and my tank is going to be able to turn 4ppm of ammonia>nitrItes>nitrAtes in 24 hours (I'm almost there now!)

Instead of listing them all, here's the page I made on AqAdvisor-
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I also want to know how fast I should stock the tank because I don't want to under-stock and have a mini cycle when I add more fish. I'm thinking about adding as many of the smaller fish as I can immediately and adding the dwarf gourami and the cory catfish a little later.

Thanks!

That's a cool setup. However, I've been warned about dwarf gouramis. I was going to get two, but apparently they're territorial and will fight (even if they're females). I would stick with one.

I think you have a pretty good list there. I do think 7 is a better number for the tetras and glofish, I know nothing about the barbs, the cory cats should be in groups of no less than 4, 6 being ideal. The guppies I, personally, would get all males.

Maybe I'll take out the cherry barbs and increase the numbers of the other small fish. Should I wait a while to get the Cory cats so they've got some stuff to munch on in the tank? I'll feed them pellets too, but will they help keep (fake) plants clean?

Looks good. I agree with both of the other posters. I would lose 1 gourami and add some more corys. Neons tend to die very easily so I would add them next to last, before the gourami, if at all.

You could also just lose one of those schools and make the other ones bigger,the fish would probably appreciate it.

It's a good stock list overall, except for the DG's. Sometimes it works, but I wouldn't count on it. Enjoy the new tank.

Eco the cory cats will not keep plants clean. They are just bottom feeders, not algea eaters. They can be added at any time to a cycled tank. I rely on my nerite snails for eating algea.

I agree add the neons and gourami last, and make sure you take time when acclimating them. I float them for a while then start removing a little bag water and adding tank water every 10 mins or so until I think their bag is now mostly tank water, then add them to the tank. I've found this little step makes a big difference with these 2 fish..and in fact I plan on starting to do it with everything :)

I read somewhere else that cory's should be kept in odd numbered groups (ex. 3,5,7...) have you ever heard that or had experience?

Absolutely not. Someone was confusing cories with something else. I've read that about the neons, maybe you just confused the two. (I've also read neons should be in even numbered groups so I don't know what to make of that one). Cories should really be in groups of no less than 4, with 6 or more being ideal. I think if you really have to have them and have a smaller tank 2 is OK. But with your tank size I think you'll want to take advantage of the ability to have them in a larger group...they are really fun to watch!

Yes they are I have five as of today!! Lol I love them they are great little hyperactive fish and so fun to watch

After reading the great input Input I've gotten so far, I think I'm gonna make a couple changes. I'll take the cherry barbs out of the equation and go with

8 Neon Tetras
8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
8 Guppys
8 Glo Fish
4 Cory Catfish

I'll think about the Dwarf Gourami later after everything's up and running for a while.

If it seems overstocked (AqAdvisor says I'm around 90% to capacity) I can always cut back to 7 of each instead of 8... sound good?

AqAdvisor can be fun to use but it's not always accurate. In this case I think it's close. I do not think you are overstocked. For the most part I think you can let your water be the judge. If you feel like you have room for more, and you are testing your water and your nitrates aren't exceeding 20ppm before getting a pwc, you can probably add ;)

Looks like a great mix.

Oh ya, I have seen some bleeding heart tetras become fin nippers when they're full grown, so if you have a choice I would try and get some smaller ones. I doubt it's anything to worry about but thought it couldn't hurt to drop some info.

If my tank is fully cycled (fishless) how many of these fish can I add at first? My concern is that since these are small fish it may weaken my bio-filter if I add them too slowly.

Gosh I'm not gonna touch that one..never had a tank that large yet...start a new thread on it maybe?

Back
Top Bottom