Can you help me Aquascape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have a 29gal planted tank. I want to add a few new plants to it, but not sure what to add or how to set it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a crude pic of what I have as well as a link to a previous post with some pics , however since the pic the moneywort has been cut down to a stock and the hornwort removed, and the Narrow Leaf Chainsword was devoured by Tetras who are also no longer in this tank, so it's an out of date pic so I'll add some newer ones to this post tonight :)

I would like a planted tank with some tall plants in the back as well as some bushy plants for the fish to swim through or hide. I have 12 Tiger Barbs and 2 Gouramis with some bottom fish (4 Cories, 2 Clown Plecos

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=69876&highlight=

TIA

Attachments

• plants_328.jpg
    plants_328.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 172
Oh yeah: Specs
29 Gal
3 Inches Gravel substrate
Jungle Fizz Factory CO2
55W PC Lighting
1 root tab added every week to a different location in the tank
liquid fert added after every pwc (10 days or so)

How high do those pieces of wood stand? the one on the right could be turned (forks out) and the java fern tied to it 1/4-1/3 the way dow towards the fork (the forked part would have to come forward). the anubias can be moved over towards the glass.

The ludwiga I'ld spread out a bit more then a clump, and I'ld move the moneywort back so it's not "in the middle of the floor"..

But I'm no aquascaper, I end up tying everything everything down so the pleco doesn't rip it out.

That's it? I was kind of hoping for a few more tips please.

I had some Hornwort, but it just rots when you plant it and then floats away, besides, it's not the nicest.

I will probably rip out the moneywort, it looks pathetic, and I will be going to buy some more plants this weekend. I want to add a nice ground cover, maybe one more Nana that I will try and get to grow on one of the pieces of wood, and then some tall background plants to finish it off.

Some crypts would make a nice tall background and most are easy to grow and spread quickly. Java moss or Christmas moss is easy to grow and could add some bush intrest in the forgroud or on driftwood. Larger clumps of small leaved plants tend to look best in a smaller aquarium. You might try Ludwigia, Rotala or Bacopa species or even Anacharis which I like even though it grows like mad. Some plants might more difficult to grow without a presurized CO2 system and just 2 wpg, especially if it is a tall tank. I would avoid red varieties in this setup. Hope this helps.

I'm definitely no expert, but .. . . how about something like this, with the new plant being dwarf saggitaria or echinodorus tellenus. This just looks a little less symmetrical which is often more pleasing to the eye . . .

Attachments

• plants_328_250.jpg
    plants_328_250.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom