Can you help me ID this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I went to the lfs about 2 hours from my house to pick up a few things and I was looking at an odd fish in one of their tanks. I have seen this species before in their tanks, but never really paid too much attention to it. They had about 6 of them in a 10 gal tank without gravel or sand so I am assuming that it's an eel of some sort. They are silver, long, and have very small side fins. Their mouth looks like a Moray Eel (SW) and they are thick like the Moray. They are not the most attractive looking fish/eel because they don't really have any color besides the silver. Does anyone know what this is?

My fiance was thinking of purchasing a new tank to put two of these in but we don't know anything about them. He's always loved this particular fish but hasn't been able to find any info about them. They are marked Dragon Fish but when I came home and tried looking for profile's, all I found was for the Arwana and it is definately not an arawana. Can someone help me trying to ID this fish?

I'd like to look up some info on it because he really wants this eel. I was not about to ask the staff at the lfs because they are all about 80 years old and didn't know squat about anything. I really have to move or start mail ordering fish because it's frustrating trying to ask questions at the SMALL selection of fish stores around here. They either don't know anything and shrug their shoulders at me or they give me an answer and I come home and try to verify it online and it's usually wrong. Thanks!

Yep, Violet Goby. Despite their bizarre (and possibly mean) looking appearance, they're generally nice, community-friendly brackish fish.

You are correct bwayne400! I was hoping that it was a freshwater because he was really looking forward to getting a few. We're not farmiliar with Brackish and we're just starting to think about SW. I bought a book about 8 months ago for SW and it's taken us this long to even think about tank purchasing. HAHA. I just get too excited over our current fish. A couple weeks ago I bought some Apple Snails and I can't stop watching them.

Brackish is simple and you only need marine salt and a salinity reader on top of what you already have for FW.

Back
Top Bottom