Canister filter for 20long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey fish friends! I'm looking into bumping up my setup (shopping!!)

I would like a decent canister filter for my 20long planted hitec tank. I like the idea of making a wet dry filter, but figured the increased surface agitation would eat up all my co2, and don't want to do pressurized JUST yet.

So im thinking the ehiem classic 2213 I believe is the model?

Also looming at the marineland hang on top canister..

My concerns..

I'd like to have the ability to use a spray bar, or spray outlet, and it can't be too much for my fish (smaller tetras, shrimp)

I'd like to be able to use a sponge over the intake, but that's not a game changer.

What's your opinions guys?

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

The Eheim 2213 is an amazing filter. It has a lot of different kinds of filter materials you can put in it and it is very silent. The only downfall about it is if you have a hood it is kind of hard to use the spray bar. I would not buy any other canister filter on the market this is the absolute best. A lot of people have different opinions about this canister but if they tried it they would realize how good it is. The Eheim also has an adjustable flow unlike the marineland canisters so if it is to strong for your fish you can change the flow but you won't have to for a 20 gallon long.

Awesome. I think you just sold me on that. Would you recommend the spray bar vs the regular output? I have pristella tetras, shrimp, ottos, a clown pleco..

+1 for the eheim. If you have to cut the spray bar to fit the tank the spray bar can restrict the flow alittle which builds pressure and will actually make the filter whistle. The holes can be drilled a tiny bit larger to stop this though. I dont use a spray bar anymore because its now on a different tank but the filter itself is great and dead silent. My friends had one for God knows how many years but hasnt skipped a beat.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Awesome. I think you just sold me on that. Would you recommend the spray bar vs the regular output? I have pristella tetras, shrimp, ottos, a clown pleco..

For a 20 long I would definitely recommend the spray bar. When you don't have the spray bar on the flow is really cut down but they sell different attachments for the outflow other than the spray bar that comes with the canister. On my 29 gallon I have my Eheim 2213 on the left side of the tank without the spray bar and an aquaclear 50 on the right side of my tank. I could not use the spray bar because of the way my aquarium hood is shaped so I have to have another filter to circulate the other half of the tank. Don't get me wrong the 2213 is still an amazing filter.

Btw if you want I can make a video of my canister filter and show you all the media that's in it.

Sure! Wouldn't mind seein how it does, not too much on YouTube for the 2213. I'm going to probably order it tomorrow. Do you use purigen in it?

Cracking filter! I would buy a cheap powerhead to place at the other end of the tank to help circulation. Ones with sponges attached can be found and would act as a secondary filter.

Does it mention what filter media come with the 2213?

Was gunna run the hob on the other side to sell seed 2213, then power head for flow only..

Lol yeah it means good, must be an english term. Using a hob in th other side is an even better idea.

Yeah, but its junky clutter, and the colour looks bad imo to have a black box right there on the tank. I'd rather hide a nano powerhead, and run that.

Thanks man

Canister filter arrivedAAANNNNNNNNDITSBROKE....

:|

Broke somewhere at UPS most likely, I worked there, stuff gets tossed all the time...

They are sending a new one right out. One more chance...

Sure! Wouldn't mind seein how it does, not too much on YouTube for the 2213. I'm going to probably order it tomorrow. Do you use purigen in it?

Sorry it took me along time to get back to you I've been really busy. I will do a vid at the end of this month because that is when I clean my canister out. Btw I saw in the comments you said your canister filter was broken when you got it, how?

It came with a crack down the side of the green canister section.

I'll post pics hold on

Can't upload photos.. But the main canister section had a large crack, clip areas were broken flush to the canister. Everything else seemed fine. Sending this one back

Got a question. Does the spray bar discharge below the waterline? With any CO2 too much surface agitation will rob a lot of CO2 from the water. I've never used a spray bar so just curious. OS.

i know you already order it but....I have heard some complaints about there noice level of eheims. I always stick with fluval/hagen. Fluval 206 would have been my choice. Also, you can always get better deals on amazon and ebay then DRfosterandsmith.

I did just read the post title, and I was thinking about anwser with Eheim 2213, but you already stated it !!! I have Eheim 2213 on my 29g wide, and It work perfect !!! You wont have too much flow, just perfect flow for your tank.

Eheim is heavy duty filters.

I'm injecting CO2 into canister intake, I use the spraybar that defaulty came with the canister, and everything work fine !!

Back
Top Bottom