Canister Filter start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishQuest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having trouble getting my Canister Filter to start properly, it's the Aqua One CF-1200. I siphon it just fine, but then when I try to put the out pipe back into the tank is just goes back to where I started, with air in both tubes. Am I doing something wrong or is there and easier method?

I'm having trouble getting my Canister Filter to start properly, it's the Aqua One CF-1200. I siphon it just fine, but then when I try to put the out pipe back into the tank is just goes back to where I started, with air in both tubes. Am I doing something wrong or is there and easier method?

Make sure the output is underwater and just keep pumping. It takes forever to prime the lines. It helps if you fill it with water beforehand.

You have to have the pipe submerged usually so you can prime all the tubing and the canister with water. There should be no air in the lines.

My fluval has a little grey stick that you pull out and push back down in a pumping action. You have to do it fast and quite vigorously to prime the circuit with water.

That sounds like mine which doesn't have any pumps or handles to prime? I think I'm missing out here!

There could be a little disc on the top that you can screw off and fill up the canister from.

Usually though you shouldn't end up with any air in the intake hose. Is the intake below water and no leaks?

How are you getting flow going and then stopping it to reconnect the out hose?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom