Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best canister filter for a 55 gallon glass rectangle. Do you get what you pay for or is there a hidden jem?

I don't have any stock now, I'm wanting to fill it with ciclids and maybe a small school of fancy guppies or maybe another type of small schooling fish

If you go with a reg bio load community fish, go with an aqua clear 110 HOB. Save your money, I was running a Rena xp2 with the ac110, then Rena xp2 with a stock whisper HOB, then back to AC110 alone. My params have stayed consistent and it's cheaper than the alternatives. If you go with a cichlid tank consider a eheim or maybe a marineland. ( I am aware they were bought but they are different). I also ran a submersible fluval ?something or other along with Rena and didn't put a dent in numbers. For "rule of thumbs" stocked 55, you don't need a canister, you just need reg maintenance and a good ol HOB. I am a advocate of AC BC they are quiet but I have heard complaints about noisy motors but not sure about what years these were produced.

+1 for AC110 best and quietest HOB for a 55 gallon.
For cichlids, I would use two, or add eheim2217 or xp3 or fluval 405.

When buying a filter its all about budget

The best may not be in your budget

I always like to go for 2 smaller canister filters then split the cleaning of them 1-2 months apart then your bio media is always strong

Forget the HOB's, just get yourself an xp4. I run it on my 55 turtle tank and it keeps that water crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom