Canister help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all~
I've had my filter now for about three months and am not impressed at all. I've had problems with it not filtering all that it should and not being consistent with its filtration. The strength of the flow is also too strong and, too, not consistent. All around I'm just not impressed.
I've got the aqueon quiet flow at30
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426392760.861994.jpg

I've been saving up money and thinking about getting a canister. What I am aiming for is quiet filtration and have heard canisters are quiet. (The tank is in my room and I need sleep lol) I've got a 22 gallon and I know canisters are usually for larger tanks or messier animals, but I've heard such good things about them. I was wondering what your guys' preferences on canisters for a small aquarium are? I was researching and came across this one
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426392851.373996.jpg
Any thoughts? Any and all help is appreciated!
I am still cycling and do still have only danios so starting the cycle over with a new filter or even seeding this filter is not an issue for me. I am in no hurry! Patience is a virtue in this hobby, after all.

Thanks guys :)

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

I have an eheim classic 2215 running on my 20g and it does not feel like overkill. Might be a little over budget for you, but I highly recommend it.

I have an eheim classic 2215 running on my 20g and it does not feel like overkill. Might be a little over budget for you, but I highly recommend it.

Thank you! I'll look it up :)

Hey all~
I've had my filter now for about three months and am not impressed at all. I've had problems with it not filtering all that it should and not being consistent with its filtration. The strength of the flow is also too strong and, too, not consistent. All around I'm just not impressed.
I've got the aqueon quiet flow at30
View attachment 267350

I've been saving up money and thinking about getting a canister. What I am aiming for is quiet filtration and have heard canisters are quiet. (The tank is in my room and I need sleep lol) I've got a 22 gallon and I know canisters are usually for larger tanks or messier animals, but I've heard such good things about them. I was wondering what your guys' preferences on canisters for a small aquarium are? I was researching and came across this one
View attachment 267351
Any thoughts? Any and all help is appreciated!
I am still cycling and do still have only danios so starting the cycle over with a new filter or even seeding this filter is not an issue for me. I am in no hurry! Patience is a virtue in this hobby, after all.

Thanks guys :)

I tried one on a 5g and was disappointed. It didn't have a lot of power and developed a leak after a couple of months.
I'd look for an Eheim 2213 or API Filstar XP2

I tried one on a 5g and was disappointed. It didn't have a lot of power and developed a leak after a couple of months.
I'd look for an Eheim 2213 or API Filstar XP2

I was torn between a 2213 and a 2215... really glad I went with the 2215 for the extra capacity. Hard to believe it doesn't feel like overkill for such a seemingly small tank.

Thank you all for the replies! I've looked into the ehiem and $125 is a little steep for me at the moment, although it looks excellent! I've decided on this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426524063.970337.jpg

It looks like it's got pretty great reviews and at a pretty decent price. It says it's up to 75 gallons. Has anyone heard of it or had experience with this brand?

Several of my club members have SunSun and like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's great to hear! Thank you :) fingers crossed it won't turn out like this other filter!

I just got an Eheim 2211 for my 20 gal long and it works great. It's *very* quiet too and the thing is about the size of a thermos.

I just got an Eheim 2211 for my 20 gal long and it works great. It's *very* quiet too and the thing is about the size of a thermos.

It sounds like that brand is very reliable so in the future for my other tank(s) I will definitely consider it!

So I wanted to update on my filter status! I got it yesterday, hooked it up, and I've never had cleaner water. The fish look so much less stressed and my ammonia is FINALLY a being converted to nitrites and then nitrates. It's finally cycling after three months! I used to have 1.0 ppm of ammonia steadily and now I've got less than .25 on the second day of my canister. If anyone is having issues with filtering and cycling and they don't have a canister, I highly highly recommend getting one. It'll literally change your tanks atmosphere and chemistry.
As for the brand of canister, I've been super happy with my sunsun. The only thing I have to complain about is that the directions on assembly are not very clear and thorough. As far as functionality, it is super quiet and very very efficient. I've never been happier with my tank :)
Thank you everyone for your help and advice! I'll keep all of your suggestions in the back on my mind as I progress further into this hobby☺️

Our persmart has several canisters for that size tank on clearance, about half off ... Maybe you'll find them near you too or online.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom