Canister Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idealconcepts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Everyone,

My question concerns canister Media, I am currently using a Emperor 400 Power filter and an Rena Filstar XP3 Canister for my 130Gal tank. I will be transitioning out the Emperor in a month or so and replacing it with a second XP3. Both XP3's came with a bonus pack of ceramic media rings, which states it is for the bacteria. Now are the ceramic media rings similar to a biowheel? If so, since the rings are white does it mean the bacteria colony has established itself when the rings turn white, similar to a new biowheel? Please let me know if anyone has had experience with ceramic rings?

A second question I have is I have heard and read that it is difficult to gauge how long the affectiveness of charcoal is as a filter media, I have seen ranges between 2 weeks to 6 weeks before the charcoal has to be replaced. Can anyone confirm or comment on this? Also what else can I use as filter media for the XP3 Canister besides charcoal but will have similar or somehat benifits as charcoal? (The XP3 media comes with 2 coarse filters, ceramic rings, charcoal, and 1 fine filter)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bio Wheels are much better for Bacteria colinization since it has more surface area. I would stay away from charcoal since that prevents your fish from growing its maxium size. I use Chemi-Pure bags from Boyd that are poly resin bags & replace them every 3 months. :mrgreen:

How much surface area would really depend on the amount of ceramic rings you use. I have not used them personally but I understand bio-balls are also good for colonizing bacteria.

I'm curious about the charcoal - what about it keeps fish from growing to their full size? I have never heard that. I would think that not having charcoal to help remove harmful contaminants would be a more likely cause of stunted growth.

*sits next to saberry and asks the same question*

There is nothing I know of is activated charcoal which affects fish growth, least not in FW tanks. Do you have any documentation on that Fishboy? I'd like to research it.

Back
Top Bottom