Canister Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevencharlie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day I ordered a Sunsun HW-302 for my 25 gallon tank. What I'm wondering is what would be the best media to use, and what order should it go in the canister. My current filters are two Fluval C3 power filters that both have biomax in the basket that is intended for chemical filtration. Im going to transfer those rings to the canister when it arrives.

I am also probably going to be using some kind of silicate/phosphate remover in this filter as my tank has developed a bit of a diatom issue. Which ones actually work and which of the three baskets that this filter has should it go.

This is how I do my filters, from water first entering the canister:
Course mechanical media, then bio media, the fine/polishing mechanical media with your chemical media.

My canister is set up entering water goes through coarse sponge, medium sponge, polishing pads, carbon (will be removing), and finally biomax biomedia.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't get caught up in "the best media" it's far far less important than people make it out to be.

I've been using these for example. There's tons of surface area for bacteria and it will never clog. You can get them at dollar stores.

Plastic_Pot_Scrubber_MP1002.jpg

I set up my canister per the instructions it came with... mechanical noodle style media, course sponge, biological media, polishing pad. Beyond that, I also have a mesh bag with media for a back up filter stuffed in the canister, as well as purigen packs at the very end before water returns to the aquarium.

I have heard of using the pot scrubbers. Are you using only those in your filter, or are they in one tray. Im guessing those would be considered course mechanical filtration. Also do you leave them together like they are in the bag or do you pull them apart.

Also, i have a bag of polyester fiberfill. I heard of people using that in their canisters as well. Im guessing its considered fine mechanical. Should i use this stuff? If so how much should I stuff into the basket to be most effective without restricting flow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have heard of using the pot scrubbers. Are you using only those in your filter, or are they in one tray. Im guessing those would be considered course mechanical filtration. Also do you leave them together like they are in the bag or do you pull them apart.

Also, i have a bag of polyester fiberfill. I heard of people using that in their canisters as well. Im guessing its considered fine mechanical. Should i use this stuff? If so how much should I stuff into the basket to be most effective without restricting flow.

They are only biological filtration. They are crap for mechanical filtration (part of the reason they are great for bio media because of no clogging)

Those pot scrubbers are the only source of bio media for both an oscar tank and my 40b planted tank. You just throw them in the canister just like they are.

I don't like using poly fill in a canister personally. But that's just because I hate cleaning canisters out. The poly fill will likely need to be replaced every 1 to 2 weeks. Just grab a small handfull and fluff it up so it fits in the area you have for it.

Whatever tray the water enters first use a 30ppm sponge filter then a 20ppm sponge filter. Don't use a water polisher like polyfill because it clogs up to quick. Fill the rest with biological media. Put your Chemi-pure, Purigen, etc on top.
I use the Cermedia balls with Fluval Biomax filling in the spaces in my XP3. I don't know if the Cermedia balls really worth the money or not but they've worked for me and I have no complaints on them.

So i ended up getting a bulk course sponge and cutting it to size for the bottom tray. Along with one of the three fine pads that came with the canister. The second tray has the biomax that was in my HOB filters plus another 500gm box, for a total of 1Kg of biomax. The third tray has 250ml of Seachem Phosgaurd, and the rest of the space is filled with Marineland Bioballs. So far the tank looks so much clearer than it did with my other filters. Thank you wverone for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom