Canopy help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpb1216

Aquarium Advice Activist
So built a canopy out of wood to house my lights. It's 2" above the top of my tank. Mold has grown everywhere on the inside pretty much (about 60% of the surface area). I used water sealer and made it waterproof and tested the waterproof-ness of the wood and all was well. Is there something that will keep it from getting moldy?

So built a canopy out of wood to house my lights. It's 2" above the top of my tank. Mold has grown everywhere on the inside pretty much (about 60% of the surface area). I used water sealer and made it waterproof and tested the waterproof-ness of the wood and all was well. Is there something that will keep it from getting moldy?
Hi, have you painted the inside??. I recently got one built by a mate and he used regular white gloss(oil based) paint. I know people say not to use regular paint but i have had no issues. Once you let it cure, i did for over a week, you should be grand...

Attachments

• DSCF6565.jpg
    DSCF6565.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF6585.jpg
    DSCF6585.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 02~1.jpg
    02~1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF6598~1.jpg
    DSCF6598~1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 59
I just used the water sealer. It literally looks like you came into my house and stole my blue prints it is almost exact except the slits for the filter. My dad was saying they have this stuff you can mix into the paint or something that is a mold preventer. Something along those lines... I just gotta take off all the lights and paint it. How'd you hang your LEDs?

I just used the water sealer. It literally looks like you came into my house and stole my blue prints it is almost exact except the slits for the filter. My dad was saying they have this stuff you can mix into the paint or something that is a mold preventer. Something along those lines... I just gotta take off all the lights and paint it. How'd you hang your LEDs?
Yeah i'm very happy with it, i can't take the credit though. My mate's a carpenter and he done it, i just stood over him and pointed!!!. I'm sure you can get that stuff to add but with gloss paint, i'm not sure you need it. Gloss paint is water proof anyway. I have a clear acrylic sheet on the inside of the tank(resting on glass shelves) so that stop any moisture from rising from the tank into the hood. Also the slits for the filter would help with air flow if needed.
The LED's i have are only cheap RGB's strips off Ebay, they have a sticky backing on them. As you can see, my DIY skills are basic and i started to install the LED's at 9pm on Christmas Eve!!!!. I don't mind because nobody see's them, although i do have the pics in my Albums and have posted them....:facepalm::facepalm:

Lol mine have sticky back too but they didn't stick... Looks like my 10th trip to Home Depot this month is going to be underway.

No I'm good and I meant a trip to Home Depot for paint not lights

Yeah i'm very happy with it, i can't take the credit though. My mate's a carpenter and he done it, i just stood over him and pointed!!!. I'm sure you can get that stuff to add but with gloss paint, i'm not sure you need it. Gloss paint is water proof anyway. I have a clear acrylic sheet on the inside of the tank(resting on glass shelves) so that stop any moisture from rising from the tank into the hood. Also the slits for the filter would help with air flow if needed.
The LED's i have are only cheap RGB's strips off Ebay, they have a sticky backing on them. As you can see, my DIY skills are basic and i started to install the LED's at 9pm on Christmas Eve!!!!. I don't mind because nobody see's them, although i do have the pics in my Albums and have posted them....:facepalm::facepalm:

Great job on the canopy and the tank looks fantastic

staticmap

I just use normal florescent lights and and color film to give it this look

Attachments

• image-872151725.jpg
    image-872151725.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom