Can't find a glass canopy for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65 gallon tank with a center brace and I can't find a canopy that will cover the tank. The brace is raised so I need two glass covers that are approximately 17" wide and long enough to cover most of the tank. I guess I could just get some glass (or acrylic) cut, but I wouldn't know where to get the plastic hinge.

Any thoughts...

Idea :idea: why not use regular hinges or a flexible piece of rubber /plastic as the hinge and use aquarium mastic/sealant to stick the hinge to the tank and potential cover :D

It sounds crazy but it might just work

Who is the maker of the tank? Usually they will carry glass tops to fit, like All Glass. They have a website, or you can call them and ask. Thatpetplace.com carries quite a selection of glass canopy tops.

Or just don't bother with hinges. None of my tanks have them. I just take the glass off and lay it aside when I need to. Primitive, but it works quite well.

Another idea, why not get a top that will fit inside the tank, and then cover any gaps with glass. Or alternatively, a glass shop might be able to cut an oversized one to fit.

You can also check out lfs that will custom made tops & tank, but they are very expensive! (At least here in town, I just checked one out & I think I will stay with stock sizes.)

Another bright idea. :idea:
I went to Terry's store, very nice guy, and he had uses sliding glass lids. He has “E” profile plastic strips stuck to the inside on the front and rear of the tank and two sliding panes of glass, one above the other. Does that make sense? Or should I explain further. No hinges required.

That definately makes sense. Thanks for the tip Gman. I think those would actually work out better than hinges. I do have a couple of questions though.

Who is Terry? (forgive me I am relatively new here)

Where can I get the strips?

Thank Terry. Terry is a member here, I have sent him a PM to inform him of this topic.

However I suspect that if you went to your local glass or hardware shop, they may stock something suitable or know somewhere local to you. Once you find it, insert glass then stick to tank. Note you want the glass to overlap a bit in the middle and you do not want it too tight.

jsoong,

I don't think I quite understand what you are saying.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I assumed that your problem is finding 17" wide glass top. Since most tanks are 12/14" or so wide, I was thinking if you can find a narrower top that will fit onto your tank (it will have to be the right length to span the ends), then you can cover the gap with another piece of glass.

Actually, having read LondonGman's post, I think the sliding glass idea is probably better. Also I have seen those sliding stripes at hardware stores(although the ones I've seen are metal), they use those stripes for sliding glass windows - like you see at some lockable store displays.

Hi everyone, i got your message LondonGman.
Right here we go cover glasses for aquariums, we could make a killing here exporting cover glasses to the states hahahaha.

No seriously they are really easy to make.

All you basically need is 2 plastic double groove runners, like door runners that they use in furniture. The grooves are roughly 10mm each side, then go to your local DIY store where you would buy glass and get them to cut 2 pieces of glass. The glass should be 6mm and you need to measure the width of you aquarium but remembering to take of the thickness of the runners. Then the length of the glass should be a couple of inches longer than half way, for example if your aquarium is 24" long you would get 2 pieces of glass 14" long and they will over lap in the middle. Also when getting the glass cut remember to get the edges grounded to take the sharpness off. Also remember that if you have pipework going down the corners of your aquarium that the corners of the cover glass need to be cut of as well. I would draw you a picture but i don't know how i would get it on to here once i have scanned it. I love talking fish but when it comes to my computer i'm crap.

if you need any more info just ask.

HTH

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I assumed that your problem is finding 17" wide glass top. Since most tanks are 12/14" or so wide, I was thinking if you can find a narrower top that will fit onto your tank (it will have to be the right length to span the ends), then you can cover the gap with another piece of glass.

I think I have foud the source of confusion. I was thinking "width" as the longest distance on the tank top, and I think you are saying front to back as the width. It all makes sense now. I also agree that it would be a great idea to have sliding glass on the top. That would make life super-easy, and I think it would be pretty nifty too!

Terry,

The description makes sense... Now if I could only fin dthe tracks somewhere I would be all set. I have been scouring the internet but I can't seem to find anything. Do you think it would be possible to make somehing out of wood?

The problem we have is what we English call something, is normally differant to what you Americans call something. The DIY stores over here sell it in 8ft lengths but i don't know what they call it. All i can say is it is plastic and if you look at the end it look like an * E *. I would not use wood because the glass would stick to it and it would rot. I would draw you a picture and scan it onto the computer, but i don't know how to transfer it to here.

I found it...

Thanks all. I really liked the sliding glass top but I decided to get the All-Glass Versa top made for the aquarium. I think Scott68 has a link to it in his post. I was wanderign through a fish store and there it was, not even on the shelves. It looked like it had just come in.

I still have to assemble the (HOMEMADE) stand and if try to do a canopy as well it will be weeks before I can move my fish to their new home.

Thanks all for the help! I will definately be on the lookout for the plastic strips for my next aquarium (or perhaps as upgrade to the current one)

Back
Top Bottom