cant get rid of velvet! 6 months!!!:-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i got my tank in jan got 6 neons and 3 lovely red crystal shrimp. After 3 weeks they were flicking and rubbing, discovered it was velvet moved over three cystals to a small qt tank so i could treat the tetras in my 40 gal with copper based protozin. The crystals all died after the move anyway and the qt was cycled! and after dosing the main tank over 6 weeks or so the tetras all still had velvet. I then decided to move the tetras to the QT to treat and give the main tank over a month to allow the parasite to die off as they have a 30 day life cycle. Washed all the substrate. I actually gave it 7weeks adding live bacteria to keep it cycled. In the mean time i decided to change to a cichlid setup. After a few weeks flicking scratching dust like appearance velvet again. I've tried black out, heat and salt just one round of protozin and interpet no7 anti slime and velvet, still dusty jerking fish. I currently feel like chucking my tank out the window. I have a chronic illness myself so treating ill fish is really no fun. Whats worst is i have had perfect parameters all the way through and do weekly water changes religiously. Seperate hoses and nets so no to contaminate. Sometimes 40-50% changes to see if helps. Other than what i've mentioned any other treatments recommended for velvet? Cos i am at my wits end! My lfs mentioned a uv sterilizer but they cost 70quid!!!! Bearing in mind the amount of money spent on meds may be worth a shot? Has anyone used this to treat velvet? Or any other treatments meds recommended? If you got this far thanks in advance:)

The same recommendation as before, Acriflavine by Kordon or Cuprimine by Seachem, both contain copper and will kill invertebrates, stain decor and silicone, and leave copper residue behind for a long time so a QT tank is recommended. Is this a fresh or saltwater tank? Make sure the lights are off during treatment as well.

The UV light will do little to nothing with the parasite unless it's in the free swimming stage which it's not, save you money on that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom