Cant wait to learn more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking At this forum for a week now and I really liked it. I have a community tank right now. I am having algae on the glass that is green and really hard to scrub off. There isn't much but it annoys me and I know there's more to come. I do weekly water changes. I have had this tank for about a year but with different fish. I am going to make it a reef tank in late october. I have a sump that I just made today. If anyone can help me thanks and I am happy to be on the forums. Can't wait:)

Cleaning the glass is a weekly (or more often) chore. Short of building a reef safe wiper system, scraping or using a magnetic scraper is part of maintenance.

welcometoaa.gif

I just add bristlenose plecos for algae control, I never scrub anymore.

I tried to use a magnetic scraper and it didnt work. I have a small common pleco but he isn't getting it off very well. It is a glass tank, maybe a razor blade?

Fishguy2727 said:
I just add bristlenose plecos for algae control, I never scrub anymore.

I saw the things under your post, what type of biologist are you? I want to become a marine, or aquatic biologist. I am really interested.

Ditch the common pleco, they are never a good option. Get bristlenose plecos. They eat almost every type of algae, don't bother anything the way other plecos may (discus, goldfish, plants, etc.), can go in almost any temp) from room temp with goldfish to 88F with discus), and can go in almost any water type (super soft with discus to super hard with rift lake cichlids).

I have a Biology degree and work at an animal hospital. I also run my own aquarium and pet care company.

I like reading through actual scientific articles that apply to the hobby. There aren't many, but stuff like garlic killing parasites, goldfish now thriving in the most tropical bodies of water in the world, etc. Many reverse many ideas in the hobby, just showing how much more we need to step back and rethink some of our most basic ideas for this hobby.

Thanks for the advice and is the pleco hard to find? That is really cool and what do you mean by the store? Is it a building or online? I bought the common pleco for 10$ and really couldn't by the other type for more than 20$

You shouldn't have to pay even $20 for a large bristlenose. Smalls should be around $8.

Any fish shop should carry bristlenose, or at least be able to get them in (and take the common off your hands, but don't expect any credit).

Back
Top Bottom