Carbon and ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know that you run carbon to remove medications, but will running carbon all the time remove fertilizers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Using Chemical Medium

I know that you run carbon to remove medications, but will running carbon all the time remove fertilizers?

Hello fish...

Carbon will remove some fertilizers, but only works for a week or two. The longer water stays in the tank and runs through the filter, the less it's able to support the fish and plants. That's why you need to remove and replace it frequently. Chemical filtration (carbon) isn't needed if you're doing a job of keeping the tank water clean. Changing the water replaces minerals, so you're really fertilizing the plants at the same time. The weekly water change does much for the tank than carbon.

B

Not sure on micros but no for nitrate and phosphate that I'm aware of.

That's interesting actually (side topic), some elements would bond with organic matter and this would get filtered by carbon so might be more possible than I thought.

Yes carbon removes ferts

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why do you say that? Everything I've read proves quite the contrary..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom