Carbon cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often should I replace the carbon in my cartridge? I have the marineland pro series 280, the 3 stage filter. Bio wheel, carbon cartridge and filter. So.... When do you change out the carbon for a fresh batch.

Generally there's no need for carbon except for removing meds ... experienced aquarists usually don't add carbon to their filters. Although I don't have a marineland pro series 280, in your case, I'd say let it be and eventually when the carbon's chemical filtration gets "used up" it becomes part of the biological filtration. See the link below for some more info on carbon filtration.

Activated Carbon In Aquarium | Aquariums Life

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not experienced, I'm just starting out so I figured if it came with it use it. As for my tank it's a 30 gallon with 3 cichlids that my friend gave me. No real plants and do a 25% or 50% depending on what comes back after testing. And that is done right now every week. Having issues right now with PH but from reading and asking questions it sounds like it may not be much of a problem afterall. I'm learning pet stores(certain ones anyway) want your water ideal in every aspect. But I read convicts have a wide range 6-8 my PH now is 6.8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom