Carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I use to work in a pet store for about 4 or 5 years and i have a good general knownledge of how everything works in a closed system. I know that activated carbon is used up in about 24 hour after it is put into the tank. What benifit does using carbon provide? I will be adding more live plants over time.

If you're planning to add a lot of plants, I would skip the carbon.

Some reading suggests that it provides a slightly increased biofiltration once the actual chemical filtration is used up, but there is far better biomedia around.

The plants don't like carbon, as it sucks up a lot of the minerals in the water that the plants need to be healthy. Also, once the chemical filtration is no longer effective, there is a chance it can leech some things back into the water.

I'm fighting hair algae like the devil in my 29 gallon tank. I attribute this to running carbon in the HOT Magnum filter, which I believe may be leeching phospate back into my water. I have no hair algae in my 30 gallon tank.

Obviously, I'm looking for an alternative to carbon. :)

Carbon does have some benefits besides bio filtration. It will act chemically to remove some toxins and keep the tank odor free. I use it only to remove any medications.

If you practice a good routine of water changes, AC is not needed. JMO.

I have a Mag 350 w/ Bio wheels. If i skip the carbon is there a need to find a replacement? I currently have 2 amazon swords and am working on a DIY CO2. Is there any con on not having carbon?

I haven't found that to be the case smitty. How much and how often you do water changes is really the key. :wink: If you change 25% weekly, you shouldn't ever need carbon.

Yeah, you should be fine without it. Just keep some handy if you ever need to remove meds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom