Carey's 125G Upgrade/Conversion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I'll have to look into tank only prices. I had kinda wanted to not get crazy with this build cause as soon as this one is done I have to start the sw one which is gonna cost me a fortune. lol

The 150g u have is a 6 ft tank right? Why wouldnt you have a 72" fixture? Silly question I'm sure but I had to ask it.

Yeah they're both 6ft tanks. The 150 is a RR tank which is 29" deep so I needed alot of light to penetrate that depth, plus I'm running Caribsea's black Tahitian Moon sand which soaks up alot of light but really makes the color of the fish pop!

I've always wanted to try my hand at salt but momma says no more tanks. But I keep thinking about using the 150 which would be perfect with dual overflows and I'm running a
Aquapro sump with mag 18 pump. So all I'd really need is a skimmer and I'm all set.

Ahh I see. The 125 I'm looking at is only 22 inches deep. I know they get a bad rap but I was thinking on putting the odysea fixture on this tank. I have one on my reef and i couldn't be happier with it. It's just not a super quality unit.

I need to go look at your albums lol. The black sand sounds intriquing.

On my 55 gallon I have a 48" light with 4 bulbs. I aquired it for free with another tank and didn't have a top for my 55 so it kinda worked perfectly.

Anyways, I'm using two regular bulbs and two actinic, aparently last owner used for saltwater but actinic looks great for cichlids color so I kept the old bulbs. When you look into lights possibly try to get an actinic bulb.

The 150g u have is a 6 ft tank right? Why wouldnt you have a 72" fixture? Silly question I'm sure but I had to ask it.
I have two 4x24w T5HO fixtures on my 6' 125... Mine was because of $$$. I spent $250 in lighting, where the absolute cheapest 6' fixture I could find was about $600, plus oversize/weight shipping.

I have two 4x24w T5HO fixtures on my 6' 125... Mine was because of $$$. I spent $250 in lighting, where the absolute cheapest 6' fixture I could find was about $600, plus oversize/weight shipping.

No doubt the fixtures are expensive which is the reason I'm running 4 36" fixtures on the 150. But I've been selling alot of peacocks recently and I was able to justify the expense o the 72" fixture since the fry paid for it. Even that was hard for momma to argue with!

carey said:
Hmm I'll have to look into tank only prices. I had kinda wanted to not get crazy with this build cause as soon as this one is done I have to start the sw one which is gonna cost me a fortune. lol

My 150 is a 6ft tank and I'm running 2 36" 4 bulb Odyssea FW Plant series... Ran me $159 free shipping from Aquatraders.com. I know they have 72" dual and quad fixtures pretty cheap.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

My 150 is a 6ft tank and I'm running 2 36" 4 bulb Odyssea FW Plant series... Ran me $159 free shipping from Aquatraders.com. I know they have 72" dual and quad fixtures pretty cheap.

]

When did you get your fixtures? I've only had mine a few months but I feel they could be adequate for my cichlid tank. I know the quality isnt exactly there and they arent the prettiest fixtures but I'm way over budget already so any place I can save a few bucks would be great.

Got mine friday lol so it hasnt even been a week yet. I have 1 over my 30gallon right now which is sort of a holding tank for my plants right now. So far so good very happy with the fixtures, they seem very bright and like half the price of other fixtures I was looking at.Hopefully Ill be setting up the 150 this weekend, just waiting on my sand now. Ill be starting a thread soon too ( I hope lol this waiting is killing me ).

I know the feeling! I can't wait to get this project really started. I may end up going with the odysea in a double t5 I think. I won't be growing anything in this tank and to be honest, I'd like to drop all my money on the light upgrade I'm gonna need for my reef tank.

Thanks for the info, good luck with your build! we will all be watching. lol

Here what 1 looks like on my 30

yep yep looks as good as the light from a $400 fixture pretty much. Well, to the untrained newbie eye like me. They light up my reef really well so I guess they jury is still out for longetivity on these fixtures. So far I think Ive had mine the longest at almost 2 months.

Lol same to you! I think you'll be fine with the dual setup and hey you can always upgrade down the road. Ill be watching too, BEST OF LUCK!

carey said:
yep yep looks as good as the light from a $400 fixture pretty much. Well, to the untrained newbie eye like me. They light up my reef really well so I guess they jury is still out for longetivity on these fixtures. So far I think Ive had mine the longest at almost 2 months.

Haha I have the same set of eyes I think lol... We shall see how long they last, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

Back
Top Bottom