Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No prob. They are awesome! They pretty much make the best mod parts besides nanotunerz. They are good too. But for filtration InTank is the best.

I've figured out my buy list and a timeline for completion. :)

Going to get my sand tomorrow and price some stands locally. Also will try to get the heater and new bulbs since it came without any.

Monday if i don't find a stand i am ordering the biocube29 stand from foster and smith, its only $133 with free shipping. i will also order the heater and bulbs and additional PH for circulation

If I can get the stand tomorrow i will begin filling it and get about 10lbs of LR and order another 25lbs from marco rocks on Monday. i'm trying not to go too rock heavy on this build, I got carried away the first 29g I did.

So worst case scenario I will have water in it by next Friday. I guess thats a good timeline, that week is gonna be soo long! LOL

Have I missed anything guys? I just took all those bio balls out and stuffed them into storage. I figure 5lbs of rubble for that section. Might be too much not sure..

sounds like a plan. so you are planning on using the compact f? for lighting then? I bought the standard biocube stand for mine.

I wasn't intending on putting any corals in for awhile if at all. Well i don't think i am. lol

What corals can I keep with the stock 36wx2 compacts?

I'm so excited for this one! Yay :) come on next week...move along :)

I have leathers, Xenia, mushrooms, polyps, frogspawn, and Kenya Tree with the compact f. Bulbs are a bit pricey, and I wanted some more wattage. My new light fixture will be here by the end of next week I hope...

nxb161 said:
I have leathers, Xenia, mushrooms, polyps, frogspawn, and Kenya Tree with the compact f. Bulbs are a bit pricey, and I wanted some more wattage. My new light fixture will be here by the end of next week I hope...

Then there will be pictures...am I right?!

What do you do about the hood if you get aftermarket lights? Just run it open top? Hows it look?

I'd have it be a totally open top if it wasn't for the zebra bar goby. I'll put eggcrates on the top for that reason, like I have for my other tanks.

I'm researching my brains out trying to find an appropriate heater thats 8" long or less. Tetra makes one, its submersible but has no auto shutoff if out of water.

Do you think i can get away with a 50w heater in a 29g cube? I live in Florida so it's only working when we have the air really blasting and then it's only like 4 degrees. I'm not trying to save money just find one that will fit in the compartment. :)

What do the great minds of this forum think?

A little late to this thread, but I am following for sure.

Not sure about the 50w heater though, those are usually rated for smaller tanks like 10-20G tanks. If you want a great heater much less then 8", try a RENASmart heater. The 150w version. I have one and it is the greatest. I'll never buy another heater for a tank more than 30G's. Not to mention it's only 6" in total length, and about 5" needs to be under water. You should look in to it. It's also pretty cheap. I paid 20 for mine on ebay, new.

Thanks for the tip! off to ebay I go. I havent seen that heater on any site and i am being quite thorough lol

Hmm I found it on amazon but it says its 10.5 inches...Could they have redesigned it? I think I may go with the hydor 100w, it says its 8.7 inches, I might be able to make that one work.
I want a sumbersible and auto shutoff if not submerged just in case.
:-D

After more searching it seems its been discontinued. boo

Yep, I went and got tank number 7. LOL

It is in perfect condition but is missing the lights, paid $100 bucks. :-D

My plans for this one are quite simple. I want designer clowns of some type, a blenny and a mandarin goby. I have to wait til my 10g is open so I can use that for breeding pods. But I can always get the goby last anyways.

Not sure how this build will progress as I am gonna take this one slow I think. First step, order the lights! Second step, find a stand for it!

Thanks for reading!

img_1292700_0_0bb48b1416616cbe28e38a19f666c3d9.jpg
carey, your other fish will out compete your mandarin for food,

that could be a concern but I think I can target feed him. the shop that has him has a contraption madeup like a syringe type thing to get the food to him. plus i am very patient. My pink spotted watchman needs target feeding, he is sooo slow getting to the food. lol

I'm gonna put LR in the middle compartment, can I use base rock? Or does it have to be LR?

Thanks

I just used baserock. Your store might have a bucket of already broken up stuff. Mine didn't at the time so i just bought a piece and broke it up, conveniently they now have a bucket of rubble haha.

Target feeding will work fine for the mandarin, i just squirt some near the back of my tank. He usually is pretty good at getting his own food though, even will pick pieces out of open water in the middle of the tank. Plus none of the other fish will be hunting for bugs like the mandarin does.

Back
Top Bottom