Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say if it is holding water after a week go for it. You can use the epoxy to just shore things up.

One concern is that it's going along the same wall as my entertainment center. If she blows it's gonna get ugly. :-(

I can flip the tank around so that the gouge is 6 feet away from the electronics but that the furthest I can get from the flat screen.

hmm the epoxy would probably be good to fix the chip.

i just remembered way back when i was a kid we had a fresh water 20g and there was a chip in the glass that was of a decent size and it held and was still holding years after when my uncle took it after we stopped using it

Carey Carey Carey another tank LOL your addicted ;-) hey are you going to use the wet dry sump you got with your last six footer?? That would be perfect! Good luck. I would love to get a marine reef tank one day.....one day we will.

Carey Carey Carey another tank LOL your addicted ;-) hey are you going to use the wet dry sump you got with your last six footer?? That would be perfect! Good luck. I would love to get a marine reef tank one day.....one day we will.

I don't have the wet/dry still, I sold it off with a total piece of crap skimmer. LOL It wouldn't have worked though, I want a refugium. I would have liked it if I still had the overflow boxes, oops.

I'm kinda thinking I might wanna go with no sump, just go au natural. :-D

Just debating what I wanna do. I figured a hob reactor and hob skimmer might be enough along with 200lbs of rock.

I am interested in doing a sump for the refugium aspect though. I'm going out shopping and looking today for ideas. I have enough room finally underneath a tank too for a sump.

decisions decisions....

My first priority is the lighting since once I have that I can start my buiild. I found a 72" 4 X 96w compact flourescent fixture for really cheap. Thats not gonna be nearly enough light though is it? The t5 setup I;m looking at is the current pro with 12 bulbs. Only benefit is I can probably get the t5's on trade. But either way I would have to buy bulbs too I;m guessing.

no the PC fixture won't be near powerful enough.

the bulbs may be a little costly but when you go big it costs more.

as far as the sump goes, why not use your 55g and DIY it, its really simple and just requires some 1/4" acrylic sheets and silicone from home depot

The 55 won't fit underneath well. I already had that thought. lol It will be too long I think and the width back to front is only 14 inches and thats being liberal.

I was looking at breeder tanks but they will be too tall. :-(

I'm checking out the berlin sumps online and I like em. Just don't like the price.

carey said:
I don't have the wet/dry still, I sold it off with a total piece of crap skimmer. LOL It wouldn't have worked though, I want a refugium. I would have liked it if I still had the overflow boxes, oops.

I'm kinda thinking I might wanna go with no sump, just go au natural. :-D

Isn't a refugium a sump type filter with live rock and sand rather than bio balls? Just a different type of sump or am I thinking of something else???

kenny69 said:
Isn't a refugium a sump type filter with live rock and sand rather than bio balls? Just a different type of sump or am I thinking of something else???

Doh!! Just read the rest of your posts re a sump refugium lol goodluck, sounds like an excellent project!!

Went out shopping and still unsure of what I'm gonna do as far as a sump. :-(

The available space is 70" X 14 X 24. The center doors open and have 21" of clearance. A 55g would fit in there but it'd be really tight.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would happen if the crack/gouge gave way? Would the whole panel blow out or would it just spout a huge leak? I'm trying to figure out which side to make the back and i would prefer not to have it blow out on my TV and stereo equipmentr. LOL

Thanks for following guys, this is my last saltwater build! I'm so excited cause I can have every fish i want now! I don't have anything on my wish list that won't fit in a 125g. well, I could desire a blue hippo tang but I doubt the 125 is large enough.

anyone know the answer to that one off the top of their head? lol

More then likely you would just get a small to major leak... a total failure is very rare and happens more with smaller tanks and are caused by impact. If it is a leak it will probably spray a bit.

Subscribed :)

Pretty sure a hippo needs a 180 minimum, but don't quote me. I also doubt there would be a catastrophic failure.

If it doesn't really make a difference to you which side to make the back, go with the safer choice and put the tank so that the flawed corner is away from your electronics. That's what I'd do.

Speaking of tangs, the other day I saw a beautiful sailfin! But I think they too need 180gal+ :(

I believe that 180 is a minimum for them as well. They are beautiful to watch though.

Went out shopping and still unsure of what I'm gonna do as far as a sump. :-(

The available space is 70" X 14 X 24. The center doors open and have 21" of clearance. A 55g would fit in there but it'd be really tight.

hmm you could always get two 20g longs and put them in, just drill out the tops so you can plumb between them to join. one 20g can be for your skimmer return pump and heater while the second you can have as a fuge. all you'd need is a "y" plumbed in your over flow diverting water to both sections, and allow the fuge to have a slower flow through it so it can do its job better

Back
Top Bottom