Caridina dennerli (Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenGo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Caridina dennerli (Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp)
Submitted by GreenGo

Synonyms: Caridina sp. “Cardinal”

Common Names: Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp, Cardinal Shrimp, Sulawesi Cardinal, Wine Red Cardinal, Light Red Cardinal

Category: Shrimp

Family: Atyidae

Origin: Sulawesi

Main Ecosystem: Rocky shores of streams

Salinity: N/A

Temperament: Peaceful (as are most other shrimp)

Diet: algae, shrimp pellets, vegetables

Care: said to be difficult

pH: no lower than 7.0

Temperature: no lower than 78F (78-85F)

Hardness: “hard water” KH: ??? GH: ??? (about the same as the Panther Crab, see: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/panther-crab-parathelphusa-pantherina-340539.html )

Potential size: 1.25 inches

Water Region: bottom, on substrate and within rocks and decór

Activity: active (not shy according to planet inverts, link below)

Lifespan: Unknown

Color: differing shades of red with white spots and white front legs

Mouth: normal for a shrimp

Sexing: difficult, males and females look the same and you cannot ‘see’ the saddle without infrared light

Acclimation: I normally drip acclimate my crabs and other inverts (see source below for a detailed tutorial on how to drip acclimate organisms)

Breeding: direct (no larval stage); low-med breeding rate; like many shrimps, just leave them and be sure to have a male and female, and you’ll have young eventually (see http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...hrimp-caridina-dennerli-the-maker-344783.html for my breeding project on these shrimps)

Comments: I’ve chosen these shrimp to breed due to their water parameters being nearly identical to the panther crabs I also plan to breed. However, these will be my primary money makers, even though they take longer to form a decent sized colony. Once a colony is established, though, with plenty of females, selling them and having enough stock should be a breeze.

Sources: (enter all sources below this line)
Cardinal Sulawesi Shrimp - Aquatic Magazine
Cardinal Shrimp .:. Caridina sp. "Cardinal" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page (water parameters)

Water Parameter Lake Poso, Lake Matano, Lake Towuti (June 2011)) (Lake Matano water parameters, used to check pH, temp, and other water parameters)
Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals (drip acclimation)

*Photos are beneficial. Attach photos in this space. Photos of both the male and female are even better.

Note: In regard to photographs, photographs other than your own require permission of the owner to post in this forum. The use of copyrighted material is protected by law.

Back
Top Bottom