Catching small carp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tseros7768

Aquarium Advice Regular
I live by a relatively small canal that has quite a few common carp in it. At one section the water is about 3 feet deep and I notice a bunch of groups of small 2-3 inch baby carp swimming in schools...does anybody have any ideas on how to catch a few? They're very fast right now and hard to get close to....yes I have adequate spacing for them as I have a large pond...thanks !:)

What do u want to use to catch them? Traps may work. Use a minnow trap if the carp r small enough. If the carp don't fit into the hole, use a crayfish trap. I have caught small minnows (2-3 in.) with a crayfish trap. However, if the carp r small enough, they can escape. U want to get a trap with a hole that the carp will comfortably fit into but will make it hard for them to get out. U can also use a cast net. The cast net may be easier because u just throw it out and pull it back in. U will need to wait at least 30 min to pull the trap back in. Some bait that may work is corn, worms, or dough balls.

So I know how to make the minnow trap but they never seem interested.....a cast net may be too expensive but any more ideas on a minnow trap?

Barbless hook, can of corn, or homemade dough ball, ultra-light tackle and your set:D alright, way overkill for small fish but it's soo much fun, especially for bluegill.

Wait so they'll actually bite on the corn? Even though they're only 3 inches?! If so that's awesome!!

Wait so they'll actually bite on the corn? Even though they're only 3 inches?! If so that's awesome!!

They should, the corn will float and they'll come up from underneath it and smash it! My aunt and uncle lived on a small lake and that's how we caught bluegill. Never caught the carp this way. The thought of a 40-50lb carp on ultra-light tackle scares me.

So I know how to make the minnow trap but they never seem interested.....a cast net may be too expensive but any more ideas on a minnow trap?

Sometimes they will be shy at first about the trap but they usually get braver the longer u keep the trap in there.

I have caught juvenile/adult carp with corn so it should work with baby carp too. It is fine if the corn floats but it would be better of u made the corn sink. I think squeezing the corn a little will make it sink. I have a backyard pond with koi/goldfish and I occasionally feed them corn and they love it.

Barbless hook, can of corn, or homemade dough ball, ultra-light tackle and your set:D alright, way overkill for small fish but it's soo much fun, especially for bluegill.

U can also get a can of corn and drill some SMALL holes in it so that the scent of the corn drifts out but not the corn itself. That is also another solution of making the corn sink.

Back
Top Bottom