Cave Aquarium Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dumped out the concrete blocks and put in some rocks from a local landscaper. Got a bunch of them for only $11.

Added soil substrate with a acrylic barrier for the two types of cap, sand and black gravel.

Attachments

• 1403983724855.jpg
    1403983724855.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 1403983741579.jpg
    1403983741579.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 142
Filled half way, which is all I'm going to do until I get the plants in and all the filters and equipment installed.

Attachments

• 1403985384847.jpg
    1403985384847.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 144
Sounds good. You might want to make the rocks look more natural, they look a lot like bricks right now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Any suggestions?

They are kinda stacked like bricks. It was hard to get a stable structure so narrow and tall.

Placed an equipment order, and once I get the filter up and running and some lighting, I'll start buying plants.

A quick light test with the desired water level. Equipment arrives tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1404181440072.jpg
    1404181440072.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 143
Probably a little late on this but did you ever think about using dry rocks ( like in sw tank) and aquarium putty to build a cave structure? People make custom aqua scapes all the time with it in reef tanks and it's really pretty easy.

I hadn't thought of that, but it would have been a good idea.

The lights and filters, bubbles are in. The sun 302 is super quiet and fit perfectly.

1404338997356.jpg

Attachments

• 1404339032622.jpg
    1404339032622.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 1404339075399.jpg
    1404339075399.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 135
A drop of vinegar on the rocks will confirm if they're going to leech into the water and affect your pH. If the don't fizzle, you're good.

I would also build up the rocks on both sides. Seems visually heavy to have everything on one end.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More scaping, migrated the plants from the old tank to the new one. Added the second lamp. I've got 2 fluorescent bulb, one a color Max and one a floramax bulb, according to aqueon.

Attachments

• 1404611180358.jpg
    1404611180358.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 142
I'm not traditionally a fan of using rocks like that in a tank, but I think this could Iooked awesome if it was just all Anubias packed into all the crevices in the rocks, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I plan on covering the rocks and the small crevices with some kind of plant. Was thinking Java moss originally. Anubias would look good along the base.

Need to drop by the LFS to see what they stock. Do people have success buying online plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Vex, I had been pretty skeptical of buying online, until recently when I found how limited I was by the plants my lfs sold... I decided to to try Substratesource.com through amazon and received some healthy plants. Imbolden by that expierence, I also ordered from liveaquaria.com and received another good order! I would order from both again, but worth mentioning, is substrate source was a bit more expensive per plant but cheaper on shipping, and liveaquaria was cheaper on plants but shipping was more expensive... just thought id share my expierences.
Tank is looking good!

Ordering plants from fellow hobbyist is far cheaper for plants and shipping. The planted tank forum, aquatic plan central, and this forum all have sellers worth ordering from. Much more variety as well.

Ordering plants from fellow hobbyist is far cheaper for plants and shipping. The planted tank forum, aquatic plan central, and this forum all have sellers worth ordering from. Much more variety as well.

It's also a lot more of a hassle. I've tried that in the past and between screwing with paypal or money orders, then be charged a dumb amount for shipping which ends up being a Ziplock bag with a lightly padded envelope, and $5 more than quoted by USPS, it was hardly cheaper. Not to mention I received algae covered plants, that were mere trimmings rather than an actual plant. I'm sure this was a bad transaction and not typical, but I'll stick with bonded/ insured companies so that having some sort of recourse is possible.

Hood structure is complete and fits. I installed it to see if there would be any issues before finishing, sanding and sealing.

As clear in the pic, the wood has warped more than I thought it might. One seam separated in a corner, along with the lid popping up a bit, and the hood front trim curled outward.

I'm assuming this is from excess moisture. Any tips on how to resolve? Current plan is to replace the warped wood pieces, apply a heavy marine paint to the inside, and install vent fans in the back...I currently only have a series of holes.

Attachments

• 1406334308712.jpg
    1406334308712.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom