Caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys,

I have a pair of gbr's in a 10g tank that have spawned once before in a different tank. This tank is moderately planted with a piece of driftwood as well, sand substrate, flat pieces of slate laying around, visitherm stealth 100w heater, stock lighting, aquaclear 30 filter.

I have a bunch of slate laying around that I already boiled to throw in my 10g tank. I'm going to stack it to make a cave for them. Which direction with regards to the current shuold the cave face? Do you want the current to flow into the cave? Do you want the cave facing away from the current? or Do you want the current to flow across the mouth of the cave?

Thanks,

Mike

its not going to really matter if you go to walmart and uy some clear aquarium sealent and glue it all together. obviously it has to be done outside the tank and given 24-48 hours to cure. that will ensure that no matter what the cave won't cullapse or lean. they also make a compound that comes in a slate grey or a red color. its used for holding rocks together and making cliffs. you should be able to get it at almost any pet store that has aquarium stuff. if you can't find it you can order from places like: www.thatpetplace.com www.petsolutions.com or www.drfostersmith.com

If you don't like the idea of using a sealent or bonding agent then I would have the cave facing away from the current. I would think a moderatly strong current flowing into the cave, depending on how it was built, could push it apart or make it unstable. Hope I helped ya :) be sure to let us know what method ya went with and how it turns out.

I have some caves made of slate and silicone at home. I'm not as worried about the cave falling apart. I am more looking into what the fish prefer as far as current coming in or going past the cave. I'm trying get the pair of GBR's to spawn and thought the cave would help them out.

ohhhh my bad, well I don't have enogh expereince with GBR breeding to help, look up a buddy of mine on here named lonewolfblue he should be able to help ya out :)

I have sand in my tank and had a piece of driftwood there. My loaches dug their own cave under the driftwood which I thought was pretty cool. The upsidedown cats share it. And when I had crabs they evicted the loaches and moved in haha :)

Back
Top Bottom