CC& LS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aldo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi'
I now have about 3" of CC on my tank floor, for a reef will coral do well on CC alone or is better to put some LS in and if so how much?
Because of 65P of LR i would only be able to sprinkle it around.
66g (20 " dept )
:mrgreen: as a lime (but learning )
aldo

ALdo,

Its not exactly that corals will do better in sand than cc. Its more that the corals will fair best in an enviorment that is low in nitrates. cc substrates often harbor nitrates and hobbiests who have deep cc beds find it hard to keep nitrates to levels that benifit corals. Most corals will desire, or fair best, in water conditions with nitrates at a level of under 10ppm. The lower the ppm the beter. Ideally your shooting for sub 5ppm.

A DSB helps acheeve this goal because it has within it the natural denitrafication properties where as cc has to be very deep inorder to acheve the same results.

Excellent explanation, FF.

Just to add a little personal experience to this - before our current tank, we had a 75g with a CC bed. I could *never* get the nitrates in this tank below 20-30ppm. Interestingly enough, it was a thriving softy/shroom tank which exhibited *tons* of growth. I would *never* chance this if I were attempting to do sps - which is the main reason we changed to a DSB with the 180g.

However, I honestly believe that some softies do better with some level of nutrients in the water - they don't need the absolute pristine conditions that sps require. I am by no means promoting the use of CC as a substrate - a DSB is simply a far superior substrate for a reef tank, for denitrification amongst other reasons. I simply wanted to mention that some softies/shrooms, etc. can do well in less-than-perfect nitrate levels.

A side note - you mentioned "adding" LS. As FF mentioned, CC substrate by nature usually maintains a somewhat elevated nitrate level (due to the grain size/trapping detritus). Adding LS will not solve this problem - you would need to remove the CC and replace it with LS.

Back
Top Bottom