Center Brace Cracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, now I have a new problem (see picture) I just noticed this, its a 55 gallon tank. It is hanging on by a thread. What do I do? I afraid it my put stress on the glass if it breaks!

Attachments

• DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 523
With out the center brace it will bow and eventually split a seam. I do not know if there is anyone that can repair, but I would be prepared to come home to an empty tank one day, if this tank is filled.

GL

Well I immediately started draining it, its about 30% full of water now. I hope that will hold it for now. Is there a way to fix this? Can you buy these braces?

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 246
although getting a new frame is best, you can also fix it with a euro-brace. What you need is a piece of glass (1/4" thick) that is 4-6" wide with its length exactly the inside distance of your tank front to back (maybe 1/16" or so short for the silicone). Get this piece custom cut in a glass shop, then silicone this piece under your brace. Make sure you attach this glass brace well to the front & back panes of glass. Wait for the silicone to fully cure before you fill up the tank.

There was a sticky in the DIY section on tank construction that gives more details.

BTW, to determine how much you can fill your tank, measure the front to back distance of your tank at both sides, & compare that with the distance at the center of the tank. If the center is bowed out less than 1/4" or so (or 1/8" if you are really paranoid), you should be safe until you get a fix.

Doesn't look like it has any bowing yet, its 1 foot left right and center measured from the inside.

Aqueon sent me the part number for the frame, for the benefit of others who may be having this problem I am posting an edited version of my correspondence below.

Alshain said:
I need help. My 55 gallon All-Glass aquarium center brace is cracking. I lowered the tank water to about 35% full. So far I see no evidence that the glass is bowing. The fish are still in it right now. Is there a way I can buy a replacement for this center brace?

Aqueon said:
That center brace is a molded piece to the frame, so you will have to get a whole new frame for the tank. We do not sell direct so this is a part that you will have to order from a fish/pet store. I can give you the item number for the frame, I will need to know what color your frame is.

I knew this already but mis-worded my question. This kind of what I had in mind.

Alshain said:
It's black. Can you recommend a retailer for your products near Tyler TX?

Aqueon said:
The item number for that frame is 91016, how old is your tank? What you can do is go on the Aqueon website and there is a store locater on there, type in your zip code and it’ll pull up all of the stores in that area. Call around and see which one would be willing to order the frame for you. The website again is Aqueon.

Good to know if you need to find a store.

Alshain said:
The tank is less than 2 years old. My next question is, what would cause such a 'young' tank to crack and how can I prevent it in the future? The crack in question actually occurred on the front where the brace meets the frame, the two sides are cracked where the glass hoods rest but the center brace is just barely holding (see image). Given enough time I'm sure it will completely break. Is it wrong to fill the tank up so the 'water line' is above viewable area of the frame? I usually do this because I prefer the more seamless appearance, but if it means avoiding damage then I will stop doing it.

Thanks for all your help.

Aqueon said:
Do you have the receipt for your tank still? It’s hard to tell why a frame cracks or brakes, it’s almost like predicting cancer in people. All of the tanks are made the same way, and have the same integrity. Sometimes you could have a tank for ten years and the frame could snap, or after one year it could snap or never snap. There are a couple things that may contribute to a center brace cracking, not level, house shifting, or even moving around the house causes it to vibrate or shake. It may not be visible but, it’s still happening those are only some of the things that cause the center brace to brake, but again we really can’t pin point what happens exactly to the tank.

As for your water level, you are doing exactly what you should be doing; you don’t want to see a water line in your aquarium. Hopefully this helps, and also let me know if you have your receipt.

So it would seem that some frames crack and others don't. From the receipt question I'm guessing she thinks my tank is under warranty. I thought it only had a year but heck, I'm searching for my receipt now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom