Centerpiece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scottyhorse said:
I was also going to advise against the Dwarf.

I went to my lfs today and they had some gorgeous blue/red dwarfs, but I couldn't bring myself to invest in one after the comment about them being less healthy. I just really think if I'm going to go with a standard sized gourami I probably need the smallest of the standard sized ones. Would honey gouramis fall in this category?

Yeah, I think so. I think they are the second smallest, besides the Pearl Gourami. Well, the Pearls probably would hehe

240px-Fadenfisch_mosaik_m%C3%A4nnlich.jpg

:brows:I think they are super pretty!!

If they are healthy, you might be ok. The powder blue color has the worst rep. But I wanted you to have a heads up because I get really attached & thought you might too.

A Honey Gourami is roughly the same size as a dwarf but is not a dwarf, it is a different species of gourami. A Pearl Gourami male would be my second choice. None of the other large gourami's would be good due to aggression issues.

How do you think a Betta would do as a centerpiece in a tank like that? Is everything else too peaceful? The tank is very established and I'm not planning on adding anything other than the centerpiece and a couple of Cory's.

Everything looks fine except the fancy guppies. I have kept bettas with the rest. The reported issue is that guppies nip the long fins and the betta may mistake them for other males.

CoryFan said:
Everything looks fine except the fancy guppies. I have kept bettas with the rest. The reported issue is that guppies nip the long fins and the betta may mistake them for other males.

Ah. That makes sense. I hadn't thought about that. I think a honey or pearl gourami would cause fewer problems. Thank you. I think I want to find a bright red one. They're gorgeous. Do you ever order fish online?

I haven't done that yet, but I have ordered fish from Severum Mama.
I like the red ones too!
I think ordering is totally reasonable, and recommend checking out the reviews of the place you are considering. We have some on here, under Buy Sell Trade.

CoryFan said:
I haven't done that yet, but I have ordered fish from Severum Mama.
I like the red ones too!
I think ordering is totally reasonable, and recommend checking out the reviews of the place you are considering. We have some on here, under Buy Sell Trade.

Sweet. Thanks. I have been doing some research on ordering. The only site I've found that I'm crazy about is theshrimpfarm.com. Lol. Im going to keep an eye out at my lfs, but eventually I will get impatient and order some. :lol: what do you have to say about severum mama?

She is very nice and quick to communicate with. Her experience with shipping has helped too... For example, she knew that using a heat pack was necessary for temperature near me, but would make things too hot near her; she checked the weather in the near future and advised me that we should hold off a little bit to be sure the fish were ok. :)
Her fish are still in my tank!

CoryFan said:
She is very nice and quick to communicate with. Her experience with shipping has helped too... For example, she knew that using a heat pack was necessary for temperature near me, but would make things too hot near her; she checked the weather in the near future and advised me that we should hold off a little bit to be sure the fish were ok. :)
Her fish are still in my tank!

Thanks! I'm always skeptical of ordering things online. I will definitely consider her reputable. :)

I am leaving my lfs with a pearl gourami! Really excited!

CoryFan said:
Oh awesome!!! Congratulations!

Thank you! Here is a picture. :)

Attachments

• image-2563920053.jpg
    image-2563920053.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 85
emerald76 said:
Here is a tiny half inch honey gourami-

Oh my gosh! So cute!!! My lfs is over run with tiny bristle nose plecos. They're an inch long and precious! I was a little shocked, they had them priced at $10!

CoryFan said:
I love the speckles on the pearl.

Oh my gosh so tiny and cute!

Thanks, i do too. He has already gotten brighter being in a less crowded tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom