Centerpiece/strange fish for livebearer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a livebearer tank and I want something distinctly different from and bigger than the livebearers, something that really draws the focus toward it.

This can go one of two routes:

1. A colorful centerpiece fish

2. Something really strange and unusual

Go!

Well I can knock both those out with one fish, Celebes half beak.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! Anyone else have some ideas for me to research?

What size tank? What kind of livebearers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55 gallon tank. Most likely (but not finalized) mollies, guppies, platies, and also some neon tetras.

Well I can knock both those out with one fish, Celebes half beak.

Celebes are brackish and should be kept in a group of six. I think wrestling halfbeaks can be kept in freshwater, but it is hard to find the right species

Celebes are brackish and should be kept in a group of six. I think wrestling halfbeaks can be kept in freshwater, but it is hard to find the right species

Never heard that before...pretty sure they can pretty much live their lives out in fresh happily it's just that they could also be in brackish if you chose to do so...

Never heard that before...pretty sure they can pretty much live their lives out in fresh happily it's just that they could also be in brackish if you chose to do so...

You are right! My bad, the wrestling halfbeaks needs some added salt! That makes me so excited, because I have always wanted on, but I thought they were brackish hahaha

Bichir Bro you are the best

What about Altolamprologus compressiceps? They are pretty peaceful but you may have to forego the guppies since they are a bit smaller. Otherwise this should fit your original description.

I have 3 blue rams in my live bearers tank... They aren't aggressive toward my live bearers.
Then I have an albino BN pleco..

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, I like them. Trouble is, pretty much every centerpiece fish I could put in would mean I have to take out one species due to aggression, temperature, ph, etc.

Here's my new question: would a centerpiece add to the look of my tank or do you think it would look better just with this:

5x lyretail dalmatian molly
5x gold panda molly
5x cobra guppy
5x platy (haven't decided which type)
8-10x neon tetra
1x brittlenose pleco (which I suppose could be considered a centerpiece anyway)

Honestly, I would do away with the tetras. They will likely be lost among the larger and more colorful livebearers. The bristlenose will not really be a centerpiece since they are pretty inactive. Most livebearers do well in harder and higher ph water. If you are looking for a centerpiece look for something to go with those parameters.

Honestly, I would do away with the tetras. They will likely be lost among the larger and more colorful livebearers. The bristlenose will not really be a centerpiece since they are pretty inactive. Most livebearers do well in harder and higher ph water. If you are looking for a centerpiece look for something to go with those parameters.

Re the tetras: really, you think so? They swim close to each other so do you think that would be the case even if I put 10 of them in?

If so, I'd really like schooling fish in there to compliment the livebearers, so what else would work?

Tetras don't shoal or school unless they feel threatened. My black neons are usally everywhere unless the angel gets testy

I thought about Gourami but I'm not the biggest fan.

What schooling fish do you guys recommend for this tank?

Tetras don't shoal or school unless they feel threatened. My black neons are usally everywhere unless the angel gets testy

This goes for most schooling fish. If they are schooling tightly, something is wrong. If you want something that schools, go with cories or loaches for the bottom.

This goes for most schooling fish. If they are schooling tightly, something is wrong. If you want something that schools, go with cories or loaches for the bottom.

Hmm ok, I didn't know that, thanks for the info! I was thinking cories but I decided against it because of the pleco, I didn't think I should have them both down there on the bottom (correct me if wrong).

So I could either add more livebearers (maybe some swordtails - don't worry about interbreeding, all the fish will be males) OR I could get some type of smaller fish that wouldn't be lost among the colorful livebearers. Ideas?

Go with the cories and skip the pleco. If you want algae eaters, add some otos later or some nerite snails (they dont breed in fresh water)

Back
Top Bottom