Centrepiece for 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carlitouus said:
Way too hard, you can't until they breed, LOL well from what I heard females have more rounded heads (the head not the body) and some red on their belly. blue rams are very easy to distinguish but no the bolivians unfortunately. You can always try to visit fish stores like clubs and those that are not part of big chains. Matter of fact they will be more healthy if you pick them up from a small pet store(can be big in size but not a chain :facepalm:).

Also don't try to sex them with my tips... I set up my second tank(20G) and was also got 3 bolivian rams(I had one already, didn't want to tell you on the other post because I don't want to sound like a fish freak lol) and tried to do that, went home and they all had the same frigging heads lol, still love them though.

Haha, ok, we have a pretty good Lfs here, but surprisingly I've been buying my fish from a pet smart here, and only 1 has died over 3 months, and that was from birthing sadly, but they don't carry rams, and our Lfs does. I'd been buying from that Lfs for 4 years before I found this pet smart,

Haha, ok, we have a pretty good Lfs here, but surprisingly I've been buying my fish from a pet smart here, and only 1 has died over 3 months, and that was from birthing sadly, but they don't carry rams, and our Lfs does. I'd been buying from that Lfs for 4 years before I found this pet smart,

Oh cool, well petsmart is pretty good store, I bought my rams and gouramis and there, except for the blue ones. They carry a lot of species, but when it gets to more expensive or not so popular fish, a small LFS will have them.

Carlitouus said:
Oh cool, well petsmart is pretty good store, I bought my rams and gouramis and there, except for the blue ones. They carry a lot of species, but when it gets to more expensive or not so popular fish, a small LFS will have them.

Yeah, now I can't wait to get them!

If my lfs can't tell the difference between male and female Bolivian rams, would it be better to play it safe and buy only 1 ram instead of accidentally buying a male and female?

Guppyman34 said:
If my lfs can't tell the difference between male and female Bolivian rams, would it be better to play it safe and buy only 1 ram instead of accidentally buying a male and female?

IMO you'll be better off with a single male or a male/female combo. The colors on the combo will be better cause of the showing off :)

Edit: cause i'm an idiot and my reply didn't apply lol

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
IMO you'll be better off with a single male or a male/female combo. The colors on the combo will be better cause of the showing off :)

Edit: cause i'm an idiot and my reply didn't apply lol

Yeah, I would want a male and female, but i heard if they spawn they're quite aggressive

Guppyman34 said:
Yeah, I would want a male and female, but i heard if they spawn they're quite aggressive

That is what i've heard also (never kept them myself). What else do you have in your stock?

skywhitney said:
That is what i've heard also (never kept them myself). What else do you have in your stock?

3 guppies (1m 2f)
3 platys (1m 2f)
6 neon tetras
4 corys (gonna up school to 6 soon)

Guppyman34 said:
3 guppies (1m 2f)
3 platys (1m 2f)
6 neon tetras
4 corys (gonna up school to 6 soon)

My concern would be mainly for the Cory. I wouldn't be surprised if you lose guppy and platy fry too.

I just ordered a pair of German Blue Rams and my 4 cory are my main concern also.

skywhitney said:
My concern would be mainly for the Cory. I wouldn't be surprised if you lose guppy and platy fry too.

I just ordered a pair of German Blue Rams and my 4 cory are my main concern also.

What would they do to my Cory's? And is this only if they were spawning?

Guppyman34 said:
What would they do to my Cory's? And is this only if they were spawning?

They could nip them like they would any other fish. I say my corys are my main concern cause they're the slowest fish in my stock (yours as well). They'll learn where the rams territory is though :)

No it's not spawning specific, A single male can still be quite territorial.

skywhitney said:
They could nip them like they would any other fish. I say my corys are my main concern cause they're the slowest fish in my stock (yours as well). They'll learn where the rams territory is though :)

No it's not spawning specific, A single male can still be quite territorial.

So best idea is still 2 females right?

I would not get 2 female rams. IME, the females are pretty feisty. I have kept as many as 4 male Bolivians together and they were fine. As long as everybody has their space, it's usually ok. That said, it's always safer to just get a single fish. A single ram should be fine with cories, but a pair could be nasty to them.

absolutangel04 said:
I would not get 2 female rams. IME, the females are pretty feisty. I have kept as many as 4 male Bolivians together and they were fine. As long as everybody has their space, it's usually ok. That said, it's always safer to just get a single fish. A single ram should be fine with cories, but a pair could be nasty to them.

Ok, then I think a single ram is probably best.

absolutangel04 said:

Yeah, I would agree, initially I was incorrect, but after more research I have found that makes do better than females

Freakgecko91 said:
Yeah, I would agree, initially I was incorrect, but after more research I have found that makes do better than females

Ok, well I think more than likely I'll get just one Bolivian, but if they know the difference between males and females then I'll get 2 males

It is notoriously difficult to sex young Bolivians. You can try to watch their behavior and you might be able to tell form that.

absolutangel04 said:
It is notoriously difficult to sex young Bolivians. You can try to watch their behavior and you might be able to tell form that.

Ok, then I think I'll just get one bolivian, it seems best for my tank

Back
Top Bottom