Changing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is good practice when it comes to changing the media in a canister filter?

Want to change to fine filter as its old and falling apart when I wash it. Should I just put a hand full back in to keep my bacteria?

Filter floss of fine filter, change with every cleaning. With a canister that should be between 2-4 months.
Bio media and coarse sponges, rinse well in tank water and reuse.

Really, thought it was almost a godly sin to regularly change a filters media.

I've been rinsing every thing in tank water for the last year and a half. Will it have much affect my tanks cycle

Really, thought it was almost a godly sin to regularly change a filters media.

I've been rinsing every thing in tank water for the last year and a half. Will it have much affect my tanks cycle

I agree. The only time I change it is if it is falling apart or is being replaced.

I have a Fluval 206, and I clean my filter out every 4-6 weeks. I have not replaced any media inside the canister yet and it has been 4 months. Every 6 months I will change out the filter floss. What I do (just did it yesterday actually) is I rinse everything off get get the debris out of there. The fine filter floss I have I squeeze the floss under running water (like a kitchen sponge getting the leftover soap out of it). I make sure everything stays wet though and never let anything stay in contact with air for long. Then I put it all back together. Never had an ammonia spike once, even with the filter off for 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom