Changing from 20 to 55 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MolsonEx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody.

At the moment i have a 20 gal./heated and planted/HOB filter.DIY CO2/and 35 watt of light. I just bought a 55 gal. from somebody wo stopped his hobby. I also got a canister filter and all the stuff he didn't need anymore. I'm just wondering what is the best. How to start and stock the 55 ? I like to have more tetra's and other small fish. And of course some great plants. Which fish to keep in the 20 and if i drop the canister filter and change for a new HOB filter. Because i really like the old 20 gal HOB filter. How many heaters ? Will i have to invest in real CO2 ? Any advice is welcome.

PS When i plant my aquarium plants, should i take away the foam and the lead that comes with is and plant it in the gravel ?

the foam yes and the lead you can but you dont have to

get a 200watt heater

what kind of canister filter is it? why go out and buy a new hob filter when the tank came with one.

the angel you have should go into the 55g but then again when he or she get full grown you will have to look at get fish 3" + for your 55g

look around and see what fish catch your eye and get back with us and we will give you advice on what can go with those fish.

good luck on your new tank

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. At the moment i have only 1 HOB filter for my 20 gal. They 55 gal. has only a canister filter. It is a Fluval 303 with foam, some kind of rocks and a space for carbon (i think). I would like to start a community tank with some more fish from the tetra family. Because i like schooling fish in a big aquarium. And i would like some ghost shrimp(again), guppy's, molly's and gouramis.
At the moment the angel is still small and doesn't seem to bother the small neon's. But it looks i will have problems in the future when the angel get bigger, or not ?
Or should i look more in the chilid family and take some bigger fish with the angel ?
TIA

Greetings,

The fluval 303 is a good filter.. it will do the 55 just fine.. it is actually a sought after filter by some people.. they dont make the XX3 line anymore..

I miss part of your question... you shouldnt need CO2 untill you have the equivilent of about 2.5 watts per gallon of regular floresent light.. in other words about 2 double tube floresent lightstrips.. wanting to need CO2 is harder to do then not needing it.. if that makes any sence..LOL

I would stick with the canister. it works much better that a hob. as for the angel, those neons will end up as food eventually. In the wild, angels feed on neons. although a school of congo tetras would look great in the 55. and they should do ok with the other fish mentioned.

if you are looking into cichlids there arent many options to put with community fish, because i know cichlids will likely chomp on your neons and guppies....being that they are all so cool looking i wish i could put them together too...good luck!!!

New world/CA & SA cichlids do well with a variety of tetra species. ie: Angels, German Blue Rams & Keyholes go great with congo, black skirt, black phantom tetras. You can then add your bottom feeders (pleco's, cories, loaches).

Hey,

Tnx again. I will keep the canister filter. I found some spare parts @ Big Al. I think i will keep with the tetra family. I just came back from the LFS and there is plenty choice. I will also go for bigger CO2 so i can put plenty light and bigger plants. Any more advice is welcome. Like what to do with the 20 gal. ? Make it a ghost shrimp pit and some space for breading fish ?!
Greetings

Hey TnX greenmagi ! I'm going to try is with my old hood from the 55 gal. I'm not an electric miracle but i have enough confidence to do it.
Let those lights burn !
When i figured that out i will start working on a small chiller for my aquarium. I already have an idea with parts that are used to cool overclocked CPU's. :D

Greetings,

Hey,

To chill my aquarium(s). I'm not rich enough to afford myself an air cond.. so my fish will get one. It is just for the hot summer days. because it is 32C/90F in my apartment and the water temperature rises to the same temperature after 1-2 days. The algae is growing a bit too much with this temperature. And lately my pleco is not doing a really good job. I think i will take away his small cave where he/she stays all the time.

Greetings,

It would be cheaper to get a small AC unit for the room the tank will be in.. and close that room off.. a GPU/CPU type chiller isnt going to cool the water any more than the temperature in the room.. rember those chillers are to cool down something operateing at 240 degrees so room temperatuer helps even if the room is 90 degrees..

If you want plants your going to want at least 2 bulbs in your strip to ODNO.. for a 80 gallon.. it depends on the plants your going to be keeping.. low light plants would need about 80 watts of light with your tank high light needing plants will need 200-240 watts + CO2 here is a good plant guide that divides them up by there needs.. check it out..
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

TnX again.

I was more thinking about a small water cooling system. Just a pump, a radiator and a fan. Everything @12V. Should be working ?!
Thanks for the link. I just finished my new hood for the 55 gal and i'm looking for an electronic ballast. But they are a bit hard to find here at the local hardwarestore. Maybe i leave the ODNO project and just try to fit in 4*40 watt. 48". I will follow the progress on the other pages.

Greetings,

Lowes carries the ballast.. the sylvania brand one.. I have a link for a place that sells them online though!
http://www.prolighting.com/ballasts.html

And as I said the small water cooling system isnt going to do you much or any good, pump, a radiator, and fan is only going to bring the water down to room temperature a little more quickly, if the room is warm then its not going to do you any good.. and if your room temperature is cooled you wont need a cooling system the temperature of the tank will drop to room temperature with time anyway.. a small AC window unit for the room its in would be best if not the only long term solution to the problem without the use of a expensive chiller..

Hey,

Oke no cooler. But there is no Lowes here in Quebec. So it will be online shopping. I will think about it if i will start with the project if i read more about other ODNO projects.

Greetings,

MolsonEx said:
I was more thinking about a small water cooling system. Just a pump, a radiator and a fan. Everything @12V. Should be working ?!

Greetings,

I have to agree with greenmagi on this one. Putting a cooling block in your tank won't cool it down any. Thermodynamics laws state that heat travels from areas of greater concentration to areas of lower concentration. That means it travels from hot to cold. For your cooling block method to work, your room would have to be cooler than the tank water. Have you considered ice in small quantities at regular intervals? It would also help to counteract the evaporation that occurs.

Just a though.
Bill
http://www.billandheather.net/the_fish.htm

Hey,

Thanks for the info. greenmagi and wabyrd, you are right. No cooler.
But i will have to find an old water fountain so i can start my project. They also have a thermostat so the water will not get to cold.

Greetings,

Back
Top Bottom