Changing substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, in a few weeks I am wanting to change my tank substrate but not quite sure how to do this. I currently have white gravel which I wish I never got as the algae is just everywhere and I also would like sand to make it look more natural and also be safe to get cories on. I've heard many people complaining about how cloudy it makes their water even if it's been washed for example after water changes. How do I change from gravel to sand?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Following this for info, particularly for a planted tank.

I have a medium-grade sand and I've never had a problem with cloudiness after the first day. Make sure that you stir each bag of sand thoroughly three times in water (changing the water after each stirring session) before adding to your tank.

How long does this take?

I am also interested in learning what the best method is to change out your substrate as I am planning to get rid of my gravel for the same reason, but I am thinking of a dirt ( or something similar) substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually just did this on Monday, I just used a pitcher and scooped out the gravel (after I removed the fish) and dumped in the rinsed sand. I added about 45lbs to my 29 gal and wish I would of done it right away.

1. Remove all the fish.
2. Empty the tank of water
3. Scoop the gravel out with whatever scooping device you choose
4. Pour the washed sand into the tank.
5. Put a plate in the tank to stop the water from kicking up the sand.
6. Add water fairly slowly.
7. Do a 100% water change to get rid of any residual cloudiness.
8. Acclimate the fish to the new water as if you had just bought them. Its important to do this as the water isn't aged and the ph will be slightly different.

I've changed substrate four times this way and never had a single problem.

+1

Do any aquascaping before you add the water. And keep all filter media to avoid a mini cycle.

I did the same thing a few months ago with the same steps and it all worked out amazing.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

I've changed a few tanks without removing the fish or the water. I scooped out all the gravel with a big 12 inch wide net over the span of a few days. Then i prewashed the sand. I am extremely thorough about this - I wash the sand well enough that I can add it to the tank without the water clouding. How long it takes to wash the sand is a function of how dirty the sand is, as well as your washing skills. Dirtiness can vary from type to type, brand to brand, and even bag to bag.

I put 5-10 lbs of sand in a bucket and fill it up, swirling my hand to get as much sand suspended in the water as possible. When the bucket fills up, I stop and give it a couple seconds to settle, then pour out the water. I repeat this over and over until the water that is poured out is clear. At that pout stirring the sand in the bucket won't cloud the water.

That sand is transferred to another bucket. Once all the sand is washed, I fill a brita pitcher with the washed sand. Turn the filters off. Submerge the pitcher and once it fills with water you can lower it down and pour out the sand where you want it. You just want to make sure that you remove some water to make room for the sand. This method would only be good for larger tanks - not something I would do with a small tank because of the limited space in which there is to work.

I see. Thanks for the help! But if you get rid of all the water in the tank, isn't that bad for bacteria and could it effect nitrate?

1. Remove all the fish.
2. Empty the tank of water
3. Scoop the gravel out with whatever scooping device you choose
4. Pour the washed sand into the tank.
5. Put a plate in the tank to stop the water from kicking up the sand.
6. Add water fairly slowly.
7. Do a 100% water change to get rid of any residual cloudiness.
8. Acclimate the fish to the new water as if you had just bought them. Its important to do this as the water isn't aged and the ph will be slightly different.

I've changed substrate four times this way and never had a single problem.

I have done this 4 times. I followed the same as this list, with the exception of #7 , instead of 100% wc. I have 50 lb buckets so I would fill -1 of those with the clean tank water ( after cleaning the excess food and poo).
Id would think depending on the size would factor in how much water you save.
I have also swished my filter cartridge or floss in fresh tap water to get some BB in the tank immediately. I'm not sure if that really helps but being newer at this the times I've done it I've had no fish die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay thanks for the help and info

I see. Thanks for the help! But if you get rid of all the water in the tank, isn't that bad for bacteria and could it effect nitrate?

As long as you leave the filter media wet, the bacteria will be unaffected. The impact on nitrate would be reducing it to zero.

The filter media is what holds all the beneficial bacteria. The water is fairly barren when it comes to bacteria.

Oh okay! If I do change to sand which I want to, it won't be till next month

I have been reading that BB is also in the substrate. You moght want to save some kf your gravel to p u t in a mesh bad amd hang in the tank. It can only help so why not

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have been reading that BB is also in the substrate. You moght want to save some kf your gravel to p u t in a mesh bad amd hang in the tank. It can only help so why not

Yes BB lives in the substrate too. I've seen very experienced and knowledgable fish keepers claim that the substrate holds the majority of bacteria, and others claim the majority is in the filter. In my opinion both are right and wrong - depends on the individual tank I think as to which holds more.

One of the reasons I remove the gravel over the span of a few days is to allow the bacteria colony in the filters to pick up the slack. Removing it all at once may leave the tank in deficit, though that would only be a temporary situation. Placing the gravel in media bags and leaving them in the tank is just another precaution one can take. Many roads to the same end.

Yes BB lives in the substrate too. I've seen very experienced and knowledgable fish keepers claim that the substrate holds the majority of bacteria, and others claim the majority is in the filter. In my opinion both are right and wrong - depends on the individual tank I think as to which holds more.

One of the reasons I remove the gravel over the span of a few days is to allow the bacteria colony in the filters to pick up the slack. Removing it all at once may leave the tank in deficit, though that would only be a temporary situation. Placing the gravel in media bags and leaving them in the tank is just another precaution one can take. Many roads to the same end.

I think back when ugf was the business the whole bb in the substrate may have been quite true, I feel now a days with hob and canister media the bb chills in the filters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think back when ugf was the business the whole bb in the substrate may have been quite true, I feel now a days with hob and canister media the bb chills in the filters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But doesn't uneaten fish food fall to the substrate, break down into ammonia, and the BB is in substrate converting??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom