Changing to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re-arranging the tank could cause more aggression later on rather than reduce since they'll be fighting over new territory. As for the blue LED, it really depends on how big the fixture is, but it shouldn't really promote any algae growth if it's on the smaller side.

The internal pumps I am sure have a better name maybe a circulation power head not sure on the name but they move water inside the tank.

Basically algae thrives in slow moving water and a lot of lights.

Your running your lights way too long try running them only 6hr per day I know you like looking at your tank but non stop lights promote algae growth

Have a look at Eheim they have some good circulation/power heads key thing to remember with them. Is if you want to breed your fish, not to have to fast of a flow. Otherwise they have a lot of pro's including exercising fish.

A good key to keeping aggression down in your fish is to have lots of little hiding places.

Good luck nice looking tank by the way!

I think It looks good I'd definitely put some more rocks, sand actually works better with mbunas they love to dig up and make holes the best think about cichlids it's they're colors and the diversity

I think It looks good I'd definitely put some more rocks, sand actually works better with mbunas they love to dig up and make holes the best think about cichlids it's they're colors and the diversity

Actually gravel works just as well as sand. Its really about owner rather than fish preference. Cichlids will dig into and move gravel just like they will sand. Additionally, they can actually scrape the algae off of gravel, which is what their teeth are adapted to do, which they can't with sand.

As you will see from the pictures I have gravel not sand, I guess it varies in size from 1 to 2 mm in size and the fish are forever digging, quite entertaining watching them scooping up a mouthful land then blowing it out, they manage to dig some decent sized holes which sometimes need to be filled back in if they look like they might make the rocks unstable, always something new with these fish, love em!!!
Thanks for the comments everyone.

BP.

Hi everyone, it's been ages since I was last on here but been stopping by and picking up tips, anyway I started with cichlids back in 2013 as I loved the numerous fish available and the colours were fab, I've got amongst others yellow labs, 1 male convict and 2 females and a single male and female auratus, so a couple of weeks ago I was ecstatic to spot in the tank 2 auratus fry, they have continued to do well and are now perfect miniatures of their mom and are around 10mm, I've also had the Male convict and 1 of the females hiding in a corner where they had dug a hole for at least 2 weeks, I've been like an expectant father waiting on something happening all to no avail, since I spotted the auratus fry I've avoided doing any big clean ups in the tank and just done regular small water changes I decided yesterday that as nothing was happening with the convicts I was going to do a good clean up on tank today as its suffered quite an algae problem due to my putting the lights on so much to admire the auratus lol, anyway I was looking last night and was amazed to see what looked to be a swarm of fry shoot into the female convicts mouth as I got near the tank, I've been patiently waiting to see the females have babies and to experience them guarding them in their mouth and I've finally seen it up close and in my own tank, it's one thing to see it on u tube but something else to see it happen for real, I can't tell how many as they are so small and move so quick but seems quite a few, suppose you might guess I'm absolutely chuffed to hell!! How many of the convicts will make it to adult I have no idea but currently I'm just enjoying the moment, I've now decided the tank breakdown and clean is on hold again, the fry are about 1mm or less in size at present so not gonna take the chance of disturbing things mom as and dad are standing guard brilliantly so looks like regular small water changes are gonna have to do for a few more weeks, I am one happy cichlid keeper woohoo!!

BP

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Keep a close eye on the others in the tank. Convicts get real mean when protecting fry.

Well the fry didn't last long, no sign of any at all today, dunno if eaten by the mother or by others but all vanished, at least I know they can get to the point of actually getting the fry so better luck next time, it's a strange position to be in when I had the fry, on the one hand I'm over the moon about having them and how I stopped myself dashing out and buying a whole new tank etc to put them in I don't know, on the other I keep asking myself do I really want a tank that's fully stocked with convicts or do I want to just let nature take its course and hope that one or two survive, this is the course I took this time and because they are so tiny there may well be a couple that have actually avoided being eaten and are still lurking in some dark corner but are far too small to spot, the breeding pair are once again digging and hogging the same spot in the tank so I doubt the next batch will be too far away.

BP.

I also have one Auratus fry about 8 mm "big". The male is protecting it taking over a third of my 100 gallon tank with 12 other cichlids.
Anyone have any idea how big it needs to be to be considered "safe". The other fish are labs, mainganos, acai, and demasonii.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If any of the other fish have a mouth big enough to swallow the auratus fry then they are not gonna be safe, my 2 are still keeping under cover most of the time but getting a little braver as they get bigger, fingers crossed they survive as I think they are great looking fish, good luck with yours as well.

BP

Clear waterproof silicone.

Yes and totally aquarium safe, actually it wasn't in there long as I found a place I could get some fantastic rocks that are full of holes , much more natural, and got them at a good price , as the convict fry didn't make it this time I'm gonna be doing a big clean and re scape of the tank by the weekend so I'll post a picture once it's all done, I think my 2 baby auratus will be fairly safe, it's not easy as I want to remove all the rocks to give them a good jet wash so I suppose I will have to take half out, clean them and then put them back before doing the rest, at least then there's still somewhere for them to take cover at all times, I'd be gutted if they got eaten after making it this far, they're probably between 12 and 15mm so reasonable size but some of my fish have big mouths lol

BP

I've cleaned a and re arranged the tank today and pleased with how it looks so thought I'd show some pics.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426967270.136723.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426967292.844082.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426967315.830785.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426967338.772709.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426967363.180815.jpg

Hope these can be seen ok, there's obviously a full tank shot, not many fish about I reckon they're camera shy, there's the pic of one of the Auratus fry that are out loads now so reckon they are gonna be safe now, the paired convicts in the one picture are the pair that had fry that vanished overnight, eaten I suppose, there's also a picture that shows a piece of pipe I've buried in the gravel in the corner of the tank, the convicts seem to do their smooching here so hopefully the female will use it the keep the next lot of fry more protected, lastly there's the picture that shows a very blurred image of my red tailed shark that I had before I changed to cichlids, no one wanted it so I just kept it, I was told it probably wouldn't survive but 18 months later and he's still in great condition and gives as much as he gets when it comes to being chased around the tank. A anyway hope you like what you see, might not be the most exotic cichlids you can get but I'm proud of having only lost 1 fish since changing from community tank to cichlids and that the Auratus have bred and also the convicts.

BP

Well the pipe I buried seems to be having the desired effect, the female has been busy cleaning out the bits of gravel by spitting them out and the male then collects them from by the entrance and moves them away, I've an idea I've actually witnessed them mating so if I'm right, I seem to think the female will lay the eggs then keep fanning them to keep them oxygenated, is this correct? If so how long from now will it be before the fry hatch?

BP

Back
Top Bottom