Cheapest lr/lsand combo for startup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Startup is sort of breaking the bank. What is the cheapest combo of lr/ls to start my 55 gal, fish only tank? I was thinking of 20# each.

Would this be too slow? Thanks all.

I purchased my LR from liverocks.com. To save on cost you can purchase a bigger quantity of base rock and a few #'s of gulf/keys to help seed the base.

LS can also be seeded. Go to the local hardware store and buy a TROPICAL playsand(should be a few $ a bag) then seed it with a cup of LS from an established aquarium. This will be big savings.

I would try to purchase as much as possible from the start. It will help cycle the tank. You will also not have to worry about curing the rock that will be added later or dealing with cloudy water of sand added later. It is recommended to use 1.5 to 2# of LR per gal to help with filtration. You can also use the calculator title at the top of AA to determine total sand needed.

I got an assortment of Keys, Gulf, and Live Base Rock from Liverocks.com
60#s Live Base Rock initially (Early July 2004 I think)
40#s Keys and 40#s Gulf (Early Aug 2004)
By Late October I couldn't really tell which rock was from where.
There was plenty of coralline on the Live Base Rock when I received it and quite a few critters as well. If I had to do it again, and were really trying to cut costs, I wouldn't think twice about just getting Live Base Rock from Liverocks.com
All of their rock is fantastic in my opinion.
Hope this helps.

runway, im not sure where in So-Cal you live, but I found a guy from recycler.com that is selling the Walt-Smith Fiji LR for $2/lb, also, you can try http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/index.php/cPath/30_88. They are in chino so if you are down that way, might be a close drive.

I was looking at LR.com but trying to get 50lbs of LR woulda been over 250 and way out of budget for me. As for LS, im just gonna get some aragonite from marinedepot.com. They have a 30lb bag of aragonte for 18.50 and they are in orange, so I can just pick it up. From what i've read, the sand will become LS with time from the LR.

Hope that helps.

Thanks bobajum! I think I found the Recycler fellow you speak of. He says he has excellent quality Fiji LR, cured, for $2.75. Uncured with die-off for $2.

Also, thanks for the marinedepot link. I'm in HB so it'll be close enough. I'll get there.

Runway1,

I spoke to the guy. His name is chris and he lives in West Covina but works in HB, so it should be right by you. Im planning on getting 50lbs from him of the $2 "pre cured" walt smith rock. He said he had some fully cured rocks for $2.75 with coral but he sold the ones with coral so I'll just stick with the $2/lb rock. He said the $2/lb rock comes in 50lb package only and that he gets new shipment on wednesdays. If you happen to get the rocks before I do next week, let me know what you think of it.

bobajum,
I told Chris I'll be ready to pick up his rock on Monday, the 17th (1 week +). I'm waiting for my UV and powerheads from DrsFosterandSmith.com.

So, looks like you'll be getting them first. Too bad about the cured stuff. I was looking forward to that. Let's exchange when the first of us picks up.

Back
Top Bottom