Chemistry experiment!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you study science then you know that ASSUMING its a carbonate mix is hypothetical, look if the Pk is on the label... And try to figure the quantity of bi-carbonate, carbonate and borate is almost impossible!!

Plus telling that if YOU are unable to find the exact formulation by testing with color-comparison test (instead of titring) without the original formula of the product made by A DOCTOR in chemistry is very pretentious!!! Except if you are a doctor too!

As a scientist, and more particularly a chemist, let me say that what he was wanting to do was extremely basic, and not requiring any sort of potentiometric techniques. It's the kind of grunt work that they would make interns do, not the upper level scientists. That would be a waste of manpower. Using an indicator solution would be acceptable, as an especially high degree of accuracy is not needed. He's looking for proof of concept, not any sort of qualitative or quantitative data.

Finally, its just impossible to know whats in there without testing fusion point, and then try to balance the equation with the element you found and their respective Pk. Dont take your result to seriously!!

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? Fusion point, balancing equations with elements?

Frankly, aquaria was factually stunted for a long time. Many ideas were strictly conjecture, anecdotal, or purely superstitious. Take planted tank lights for example. People basically just guessed their light until people started sticking PAR meters under their lights to determine, scientifically and analytically, how much light they were getting. People have been experimenting qualitatively with planted tanks extensively, and have gotten results from it, disproving or at least discrediting some strongly held beliefs.

The fact that anyone would suggest, or at least imply, that experimentation was futile or pointless blows me away. Science should not be left to the nerds in lab coats, but should be done by all, regardless of formal background or resources.

I'm pretty sure that the makeup of seachem's buffers are classified as trade secrets, so they wouldn't list pKas or anything of the sort on them.

Didn't want to get into an argument, but well said aqua :p it really is a simple and replicable procedure. In fact, you could say I'm replicating seachem's original experiment by testing the product. Assuming I followed scientific method, I have every right to make a conclusion.

Anyway, tried it again in a fresh bucket, mixed in by hand. I'm quite impressed, it actually worked.

Came out do
KH ~ 5
pH 7.0

I mixed in equilibrium for minerals after that and left it overnight. I'll see if it held its pH when I get home. Looks promising though.

EDIT: if my shrimp do well in this, I might finally be able to keep GBRs!

--Adeeb

I'm not a doctor, but I some times play one with my girlfriend. ;)

Ok, on a more serious note and somewhat of a sidetrack; My concerns with these products were that many of the pH down type products use phosphate based buffers. And again, completely unscientifically, I get visions of algae blooms whenever I hear the word.

To put in more succinctly, if I don't know what it is, I am not very inclined to put it in my tank.

Edited to add: the Seachem product claims to use no phosphates, my apologies for casting aspersions.

Yep, the no phosphates claim is why I wanted to try this. It's going to be used in a planted tank.

--Adeeb

pH down btw, is little more than a bottle of acid. HCl I believe, but don't quote me on that.

--Adeeb

The fact that anyone would suggest, or at least imply, that experimentation was futile or pointless blows me away. Science should not be left to the nerds in lab coats, but should be done by all, regardless of formal background or resources.

Most excellent. :dance:

OasisKeeper said:
I, for one, welcome our new fish keeping overlords! Seachem or whoever they might be. I will walk blindly forward believing all their commercially inspired claims!

or not.
LOL. Come on, what's more trustworthy than commercialized science?

Checked after mixing 24hrs:

pH 7.4
KH 5.5
GH 8

I overshot a bit, but not bad. I'm gonna say it works! Go seachem. Now the real test is will my RCS be happy when the arrive Thursday :p

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom