Cherry Red Shrimps disappearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StooBroo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would bristle nose catfish eat cherry red shrimps? Upon advice from my local shop I removed the six mollies from my tank leaving four baby mollies, six guppies, three bristle nose catfish and two clown loaches but all six of the shrimps disappeared in one night, the catfish are approx three inches long.
Thank you for any help
:)

If they can fit into the catfish, or other fish mouths they could be in danger. I have been loosing some to some young BN catfish babies, I believe they have been sucking up babies.

Could they have molted and be hiding?

Hey thanks for answering so swiftly, the shrimps went in Sunday, all gone by Monday, the guppies, loaches and baby mollies mouths are too small so it must be the BN catfish.....oh well they were fed well that evening :-(

I have a 4" bristle nose and he does not touch the RCS. They annoy him by trying eat his algae wafer but he just swats them off with his tail. Were your RCS very small, I wouldn't put it past the clown loach to have a go at them.
If you wanted to try the shrimp again get some Java moss established mid tank on some bog wood or rock and the shrimp will have a safe haven.

Hi Scott, thank you for that, I actually found two of the six yesterday hiding in the plants though I can only see one so will just have to look a little harder. Would it be worth trying with Crystal shrimps as the seem a little bigger than the red cherry ones or would I be just be wasting my money?
I'm thinking of introducing something else to my tank, what would get on with guppies, BN catfish, clown loaches and baby mollies?
Any colourful suggestions would be most welcome, it's a 70 litre tank.
:)

Back
Top Bottom