Cherry shrimp bioload?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone count cherry shrimp into their bioload? Or stocking level? I completely disregard mine in both terms. Am I making a mistake?

I should add that it's mainly due to the fact that I have no clue of the actual number of cherry shrimp that reside in my tank. I have no way to accurately incorporate them even if I wanted to.

The bioload for RCS is so low that you'll need to remove some of the colony because there isn't any more room for them to move before bioload becomes an issue.

Haha that's kinda what my mindset was, but I figured it was best to double check.

Yep... RCS bioloads are so low that physical space becomes an issue before water quality ... Assuming routine maintenance. This is the situation I'm finding myself in ... I gotta be pushing close to 100+ with all the babies. There's room now, but in a couple of months they'll be crawling all over each other.

Do fish mind them? In my 29g planted I have 10 neon tetras, a swordtail, 5 albino cories, a black Molly and a male guppy. They all seem to act as if the shrimp aren't there. Occasionally one of them will try to grab a baby shrimp to no avail- at least that's what I've witnessed. If the shrimp population gets really thick will it stress my fish or anything?

Do fish mind them? In my 29g planted I have 10 neon tetras, a swordtail, 5 albino cories, a black Molly and a male guppy. They all seem to act as if the shrimp aren't there. Occasionally one of them will try to grab a baby shrimp to no avail- at least that's what I've witnessed. If the shrimp population gets really thick will it stress my fish or anything?

If the fish can fit then in their mouth, they'll eat them at some point haha, if you want the colony to really take off, the less fish the better. You don't see every time they get eaten.

But the shrimp being there won't stress the fish. If the fish are really bothering them the shrimp won't breed though. IME

Gotcha. Well I mean I'm sure my fish have gotten a few of the babies lol I've just never witnessed it. From what I've seen the babies jump out of the fish's mouth before he/she can clamp down. It's really funny actually. None of the fish go hunting for the shrimp and unless the shrimp are in their way of food they really don't seem to care.

Gotcha. Well I mean I'm sure my fish have gotten a few of the babies lol I've just never witnessed it. From what I've seen the babies jump out of the fish's mouth before he/she can clamp down. It's really funny actually. None of the fish go hunting for the shrimp and unless the shrimp are in their way of food they really don't seem to care.

Well all fish are different, but all enjoy a snack;) haha

Back
Top Bottom