Cherry shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about setting up a small tank for my platy and cory fry.. I wanted to know whether i could keep cherry shrimp in this tank without them being eaten or them eating my fry.. if so i just want to know everything about them and how to keep them.. thanks

RCS are mainly algae eaters and scavengers so they wont actively hunt fry. Fish Fry won't bother adult RCS, but baby shrimp may be preyed upon.

It is doable as I'm certain many have done it. I would recommend a tank with lots of plants, some DW and rocks to set up hiding places.

That's cool then, I was planning on having it heavily planted anyway.. thanks :)

I do the same my fry tank Is also my RCS tank, just have some java moss or Christmas moss in there aswell nice hiding places

Thanks, I will do.. I'm glad to know it won't be an issue to have them together :)

The issues with fry in with the shrimp are over feeding, happens as frequent feeding (but not over feeding) fry gives them a good start, can lead to too much left over food and/or causing water quality issues. Need to make sure to do very frequent pwc, a little clean up crew maybe like Ramshorn snails.

So then excellent filter /water turnover is important. But not too fast of water returning to the tank causing a whirlpool or too high current. Also having a prefilter or sponge over the intake so babies don't get sucked up into the filter.

Shrimp won't eat the fry unless it is already sick, dying, or dead (scavengers), and fry won't eat shrimp unless they can fit in their mouths...hungry!

The issues with fry in with the shrimp are over feeding, happens as frequent feeding (but not over feeding) fry gives them a good start, can lead to too much left over food and/or causing water quality issues. Need to make sure to do very frequent pwc, a little clean up crew maybe like Ramshorn snails.

So then excellent filter /water turnover is important. But not too fast of water returning to the tank causing a whirlpool or too high current. Also having a prefilter or sponge over the intake so babies don't get sucked up into the filter.

Shrimp won't eat the fry unless it is already sick, dying, or dead (scavengers), and fry won't eat shrimp unless they can fit in their mouths...hungry!

Ok so pwc often, I do my other tanks twice a week.. would that be ok? And a good filter but cover the intake.. got it :) oh and snails.. I have bladder snails in my other tank is that ok? ..thanks :)

With the Cory babies you will need excellent water anyway, use a test kit to make sure it is great.

You can use any snails, but mainly if they are good at cleaning up left overs. I have only had a few bladder snail hitchhikers, so I am not sure how they do. Mystery snails can really clean up stuff, mainly I have the Ramshorns for that though. They don't eat the live plants. Nerite snails are awesome for algae, just as an aside!

Have fun!!!

I don't know if you were the one posting about what to feed Cory fry in another thread but a guy I know uses "Tetra Min E Baby Fish Food, E for Egglayer" and says it keeps his survival rate up.

With the Cory babies you will need excellent water anyway, use a test kit to make sure it is great.

You can use any snails, but mainly if they are good at cleaning up left overs. I have only had a few bladder snail hitchhikers, so I am not sure how they do. Mystery snails can really clean up stuff, mainly I have the Ramshorns for that though. They don't eat the live plants. Nerite snails are awesome for algae, just as an aside!

Have fun!!!

I don't know if you were the one posting about what to feed Cory fry in another thread but a guy I know uses "Tetra Min E Baby Fish Food, E for Egglayer" and says it keeps his survival rate up.

Thanks for all the information.. I wasn't that person but I already have some tetra mini baby food.. thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom