chinease algae eater or Otto cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delyla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gal. and im planning on putting dwarf gouramis and maybe some mollies. Im trying to decide between a chinease algae eater and an otto cat. Can anyone tell me some differences in them to consider?

Go with the otos as the CAE will start out small and unaggressive but will get very large and aggressive. As dk said they can attack other fish very easily. Watching a group of otos is pretty sweet too.

I believe the SAE will suck the slime coat off sleeping fish. :( Other than that, I don't know much about them. :)

You mean CAE (Chinese algae eater)? SAE's (Simese algae eater) are safe with sleeping fish. <Although there are other species labeled as SAE's. Those false SAE may be trouble.>

At any rate, go for Otos. CAE's get too big & may attack your smaller fish.

Ottos. SAE's grow to a foot long, too big for a 20g. They also arent particularly good at eating alge. They get more belligerent and unattractive with age.

Actually, a BN pleco would be a better choice than a CAE or an Oto. CAE's actually grow too large for a 20, and become more aggressive as they get larger. Oto's are best kept in larger, well-established planted tanks.

Actually, a BN pleco would be a better choice than a CAE or an Oto. CAE's actually grow too large for a 20, and become more aggressive as they get larger. Oto's are best kept in larger, well-established planted tanks.

Agreed to a point. Otos do like the more established tank, I don't believe planted is a necessary but could be for certain fish. I do like the idea of bristlenose plecos as they don't really get big and their bio load is a touch lighter.

Otos are very social and like to be in groups. They tend to be wild caught, can have parasites, and are often underfed in transit. Start up a QT tank well before you buy otos, and try to grow a thick load of algae in it. Put them through a decent lenght QT, some people even recommend doing a round of parasite treatment before symptoms are seen. They can be rather fragile even after the QT period, hence the suggestion that they be kept in mature planted aquariums.

Otos are very social and like to be in groups. They tend to be wild caught, can have parasites, and are often underfed in transit. Start up a QT tank well before you buy otos, and try to grow a thick load of algae in it. Put them through a decent lenght QT, some people even recommend doing a round of parasite treatment before symptoms are seen. They can be rather fragile even after the QT period, hence the suggestion that they be kept in mature planted aquariums.

+1 for sure. They definately like the more established tank so these wouldn't be a great suggestion as starter guys. I would wait a while so your algae can build up a little then set up the qt as stated above and go from there.

Ottos. SAE's grow to a foot long, too big for a 20g. They also arent particularly good at eating alge. They get more belligerent and unattractive with age.
think they max out at around 6 inch and do better in schools but still too big for a 20 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom