Chinese Algae Eater (young) feeding issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liumchen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know these are 'troublemaker' fish, and I do admit that I didn't properly research them before buying. Now, I've read up on them a ton, and, have absolutely fallen in love with them.

I have two, Ginger and Brigitte, one gold and one standard brown. Both shorter than two inches. For now, they're in a ten gallon tank with three bloodfin tetras and two zebra danios. I'll be getting a larger tank for them shortly, and definitely keep watch.

Problem is, especially because of their aggressive tendencies, I want to get them to start eating properly. I've bought them algae wafers, but it almost seems as if they can't find them. They'll just swim around sucking on rocks, which have hardly any, if any, algae on them. Even when they practically bump into an algae wafer, they often just pass over it like they don't even know it's food. I've resorted to cutting the algae wafers into quarters and scattering them about a bit in hopes that they'll find a piece. I once saw Brigitte start sucking on one of the wafers voraciously for about half a second before losing it again.

They look healthy, are swimming and climbing around, but I'm still concerned. Are there any tips for getting them to more easily recognize the algae wafers as food, or other foods to try? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

My golden algae eater loves sinking shrimp pellets. He sucks on them till they are gone. You might try that.

He is older though. Their appetites kind of change. Supposedly they eat algae when they are little and then become aggressive towards the other fish because they want to eat their slime or something.

I'll definitely try that, thank you! Good to know for when they're a little older, even if they don't take it right away. I may have found something that at least helps - placing the food directly into the little cave that they are always crawling into. The problem there is cleanup, I basically have to remove the cave just to pick up the leftovers. Seems a little disruptive.

I tried lettuce leaves last night, which seemed to peak their curiosity, but it didn't look like they were getting much. I'll be freezing or boiling some to make the leaves softer and try it again.

Side note: I got an extra little aquarium pump yesterday and they seem to like testing their skills against it :lol:

Try cutting up some zucchini, freezing the slices and then dropping them in.

I had one a long time ago that wouldn't tolerate a female swordtail and would chase her all over the tank.

I'll try that, too. Zucchini is a little bigger, maybe easier to find. :)

I wonder why it was just the swordtail... Mine seem to chase each other more than anyone, so far. They get interested in the other fish, but never really bother them.

Just thought I'd make a quick update. They're eating! I tried boiled apple slices, which they ate a bit of. I've placed a few algae wafers in the corner of the tank, and they're already eating them. Hopefully if I just get them used to it, they'll find the wafers quicker. Thank you for your help, and I'll be sure to try out all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom