Chronicles of a 20g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Well folks, it is that time, the time when I start another tank and endlessly agonize indecisively over stock before I eventually choose something totally different from what I planned out anyways.
So far, the basic plan is for a 20g tall tank with some fun stock. It will be a dirt tank (because cheap) that is lightly-moderately planted with some low light plants.
I am thinking about a community based around a single or community dwarf cichlid. I have a L. curviceps that would possibly like a friend and may use this tank as a new home. Otherwise, perhaps kribs.
I will post of pics of things as soon as I am able. :)

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks they are going to do one type of stock and goes a totally different direction in the end! Ever thought about a community tank of nano fish? I did this just recently with my 55g and 24g.

My 55 stock is:

Chili Rasbora's
Neon Rasbora's (blue variant)
Clown Killifish
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Pygmy Multi Striped Loaches
Apisdoras
Scarlet Badis

Then in the 24g

Purple Pencilfish
Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish
Dwarf Anchor Cats
Dario sp Junita Hill (similar but a little larger than Scarlet Badis)

I LOVE nano fish. I have debated just doing a nano tank. My only issue is that availability is tough and I am trying to keep costs all down to an absolute minimum.
If I do a nano tank, I will limit stock to what I can all purchase at one place so I only have to pay shipping once.
Those both sounds like amazing tanks though. I have had clown killis and the past and I LOVED them.
I am considering threadfin rainbows. They are local, cool, and unusual.

The Wet Spot in OR has every fish you can think of. I got one large "ouch" order ready and bit the bullet. Or maybe a local fish store could order them.

I'm quite pleased with how the tanks turned out. Very active and it's like seeing a section of stream full of busy little fish swimming around. The two tiny species of loaches I got are really neat little fish and the Burmese Rosy Loaches have rosy orange colored males and spotted or broken barred females... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture. The Dwarf Anchor cats are way cool but you rarely see them.

Fish

When I used to live in WA, I got fish from Wet Spot. My only issue is that their out of state shipping is pretty spendy. I need this to be a tank on a budget. If I do go nano though, I will do one order from either Wet Spot or msjinkzd or somebody on here. I would love the dwarf anchor cats. They have been a dream of mine for quite some time.
I had some fw bbg before, but I lost them. I have considered trying them again if I can find them locally again. Another fish I am looking into is the peacock gudgeon.

My only issue when I had peacock gudgeons I didn't see them a lot either. Then when they were spawning the male would be MIA due to tending the spawn and I just didn't get much enjoyment from them.

The only thing you have to watch with the Dwarf Anchor Cats, Hara jerdoni I have is that they are sensitive to nitrates over 12ppm. Also found due to their ridged skeletal structure they can get caught in holes or other small places. They are in with 3 Blue Cobalt Gobies and often use their burrows which are much safer. They are really cute little guys when they do come out.

Out of state shipping prices are really bad which is why I just did it all at once.

Good to know! Thanks for the info.
I have heard that the dwarf anchors are pretty sensitive. IMO many nanos have a very low tolerance for 'trates. I guess it is too much on such a small body.
Have you ever kept threadfns or celebes rainbows?

I have a nice group of 18 Threadfins in my 220g right now and low them. They are very active and even females color up once they are settled in and age up. Mine spawn pretty regularly on the fissidens fontanus moss and on the roots of the water hyacinth's when I kept them in there.

Celebes Rainbows didn't do much for me but I do like the Spotted Blue Eye's a lot and thought about getting some again for the 55g nano fish tank.

Threadfins and celebes are what is available locally. I do agree that the blue eye are awesome though.
Have you found either fish to be overly shy?

Threadfins and celebes are what is available locally. I do agree that the blue eye are awesome though.
Have you found either fish to be overly shy?

IMO non of those 3 species are shy in the least bit! I just like the threadfins because if you have enough males and females the males constantly display those gorgeous long fins.

Fantastic!
Now, I can get started on this if I could just get my CL person to stop dragging their feet and sell me their tank! If this specific person falls through, I will find somebody else. I am definitely making the tank.

Can't wait to see what you stock since there are very few larger nano fish tanks.

Nanos sre the best! I was very tempted to use my 36 as a nano tank but cost stopped me. I am currently making a biodiverse 25 nano :)
Before you decide on dario dario 100% (my favourite fish btw) type dario into the search bar on seriously fish and look at the different ones!

There is a place locally that sells the fw bbg. I have had them in the past, and really liked them. Once option for me to base stock around them. I think and clown killis would be fun. Lots of stripes.

I got 10 Clown Killi's and they have done really well. They stay at the surface 99% of the time and really enjoy the few water hyacinth I have floating in the tank. Some of them are still really tiny but a couple males have shown a lot of growth.

I used to keep clown killies for a couple years. They are all gone now. Great fish though! I will be getting the tank on next Tuesday. So, I have just over a week to plan. I am just seeding media from other tanks, so cycling won't be bad. I will stock slowly and I can always help a seeded cycle along by putting of few of my existing fish in there for a smidge while waiting for others. I can test and do all the pwc I need, so I not concerned about the cycling aspect. This is how I have done other tanks without an issue.

Well, money is tight. I went with Black Diamond blasting sand for the substrate. For stock, I currently have panda cories, glowlight tetras, and a creamsicle molly. There will be more stock to add, but I like to do things slowly. So, I couldn't really afford nano, so this is sort of quasi-nano. I still plan to add a few rainbows, probably celebes, plus a couple other things. I will get some pics asap.

Down the road you can always switch to nano if you want. Hope you pic's soon!

Back
Top Bottom