Cichlid food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhullandermn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What foods do you guys rec for fm cichlids?

I feed them tropical fish flakes right now. I think they need more than that but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

I just got New Life Spectrum for cichlids and my fish love that stuff. They're little sinking pellets. There is never any leftover in the tank and I've noticed my fish look brighter and more excited during feeding time than they did with the previous diet.

Brime shrimp is fantastic. I always get frozen stuff to negate nasty bugs. It adds weight fast and mixed with a water change it really help encourage breeding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

New life spectrum 1mm Thera a, new life spectrum h2o flakes, new life spectrum sinking wafers, frozen brine shrimp and algae wafers. Blackworms for my apistogramma

Apistogramma - Frozen Brine Shrimp, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp and everyonce and a while a day of daphnia. For all my other South Americans, I'm kind of picky with my fish foods and not sure how much it matters, but I prefer my flake and pellet food to be made with whole fish instead of just fish meal which is just the scales and bones and what not so I really like Omega One. Always been skeptical of Cobalt Aquatics food but as of recently I picked up some Cobalt flakes and pellets really cheap at a local auction and have been very impressed with it. Had and Electric Blue Ram that was bloated for weeks and couldn't figure out why, tried fasting her and nothing. Fed her Cobalt flakes which has probiotics and within days she was back to normal. All my other fish aside from apistos now eat cobalt flakes or pellets depending alternating with brine shrimp

Nice thanks guys! I think I might try some cobalt flakes and shrimp as a treat once in awhile. Other wise my brother keeps putting guppies in there. They don't last long before they become lunch. That won't hurt the cichlids will it?

Tropical flakes, new life spectrum, dried blood worms, spirulina algae and spiruluna pellets

Do not feed feeder fish unless you breed them yourself, and even then they should be used sparingly. NLS is the best food, then IMO Omega and Cobalt are tied. I have feed all three and NLS is the best.

Last night I put 3 small goldfish in my 75 cichlid tank.

My juvenile oscar ate ALL THREE. It was really disturbing seeing him eat the second and third one....I was hoping that my other larger fish would eat them also, but my Oscar was faster and relentless.

After this experience I'm going to stick to frozen, pellet, and flakes. Food has more if a chance of being equally distributed.

To each their own. I've used all three as well and prefer Cobalt. My brother uses NLS among other foods and I've tried it out but for me, my fish look and seem healthier all around since using Cobalt. Most of their diets are composed of mostly frozen and live food using the Cobalt flakes or pellets every third day or so or sometimes flakes in the morning frozen/live food at night. I mix it up every day. Still like my Omega One veggie rounds once in awhile for my ancistrus which I have way to many of.

My only problem with Cobalt is that Salmon meal is their ingredient and they include Beef heart and egg yolk which is not good for fish. I do like the probiotics part if true, I feed a whole tube of flakes off and liked it, but Thera A is the way to go. Whole krill and Hearing as the first two ingredients.

I get Tropical flakes, Cichlid flakes, bloodworms, and freeze dried shrimp. I grind it them together by hand and put it in my automatic fish feeder. They seem to love it. Every 2 or 3 days I treat them with frozen Brine shrimp.

And I was always skeptical but results for me were everything. My Electric blue rams the blue just intensified and the German Blue rams blue sheen was a lot brighter. The Geophagus Steindachneri really showed improved color, all my fish were more active. They just seem happier so if they like, I like it. And thats my only problem with is that it's just fish meal and not whole fish but still, they like it. I sneak in a little Omega One fish food with the cobalt but not much.

Worms are a good source of protein and good for conditioning fish for breeding but aquatic worms have been known to introduce parasites so if you're not familiar with them try to find a terrestrial worm like blackworms or even little earthworms. If you do feed aquatic worms try to limit how often you feed them. I'm sure some fish would be more prone than others.

Back
Top Bottom